Suggestions on lens for D610

I have a d600
and I use my 18-35 AF-D ED lens for specific purposes. Essentially perspective distortion. Go to my Flickr and look at the Car shows. Most of the shots are at certain positions where I use the 18 toe elongate swoopy fenders etc because of the 18mm distortion.

The 18-35 is great for that. And great for landscape.
For a general "walkaround" lens I used my 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D lens. Light, cheap (used $300sih) and fairly fast.

I also have various other lenses but those 2 are specific for 2 specific uses. I don't have the funds for a 24-70/2.8, or even the 28-70/2.8.

Keep in mind your d610 has a built in body motor. So you are not limited by AF on AF-S only lenses (built in focus motor). You can expand your search to AF-D type lenses, such as the 24-85/2.8-4.0 which is a AF-D lens (requires a body motor for the lens only has gears for AutoFocus, which the camera's body motor is used for.

You can even use just AF lenses (which are pretty much the exact same as D ones) they just don't work well with TTL flashes.

You can even use just AF lenses (which are pretty much the exact same as D ones) they just don't work well with TTL flashes.

I thought the same-
My 80-200 is an AF not D and no distance relayed on the sb800 but on the sb900 it zooms with it out to 200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intersting. Whateves.

I really appreciate all the suggestions guys.

Here's what I am debating.
Going with the Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC and having a solid lens that I wont need to swap out unless for a telephoto.
Or be a little difference and go with 2 lenses:
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G
I am reading that the 18-35 suffers from edge sharpness/distortion when wide open and either needs some work in LR or needs to be cropped. Have you experienced that issue Rufio?

^^
There are two Nikkors 18-35mm. The old version (the AF-D - not in production anymore) suffers from edge sharpness and from chromatic aberration too. The newer version (the AF-S G ED - launched in 2013) is sharp corner to corner, across all frame, even wide open, with minimum chromatic aberration too.

Don't get the older AF-D. Get the newer AF-S G ED and you will be fine.

Here's the comparison between these two lenses:

Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED on Nikon D610 versus Nikkor AF Zoom-Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED on Nikon D610 - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Click 'Measurements' > 'Sharpness' > 'Field Map' to see the sharpness difference wide open.

Last edited:
^^
There are two Nikkors 18-35mm. The old version (the AF-D - not in production anymore) suffers from edge sharpness and from chromatic aberration too. The newer version (the AF-S G ED - launched in 2013) is sharp corner to corner, across all frame, even wide open, with minimum chromatic aberration too.

Don't get the older AF-D. Get the newer AF-S G ED and you will be fine.

Here's the comparison between these two lenses:

Nikkor AF-S NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED on Nikon D610 versus Nikkor AF Zoom-Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED on Nikon D610 - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

Click 'Measurements' > 'Sharpness' > 'Field Map' to see the sharpness difference wide open.

Thanks for that. I am definitely leaning towards going with this, based on what I'm reading. However, not discrediting what you're saying, because that field map shows, but are you using automatic distortion correction on your camera? I found a review on Kenrockwell.com that states:

The Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G FX AF-S ED IF NIKKOR (2013-) has a lot of barrel distortion at 18mm, improving to not being visible at 35mm.
The good news is that recent digital cameras like the D90, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D7000, D4, D600, D800 and D800E can be set to correct the distortion automatically in-camera, so long as you have the latest firmware! This test is made without any in-camera correction.

Also, how do you feel a wide angle lens like this would fare with street photography, such as long expo, light trails, ect.

Last edited:
Also, how do you feel a wide angle lens like this would fare with street photography, such as long expo, light trails, ect.

What I like very much about this lens is that it goes really wide at 18mm to provide that impressive effect we've been talking about here, but still reaches a very reasonable and useful 35mm focal length. So, in terms of wide angle lens, I think you get the best of both worlds because you can use it as "walkaround" lens if you're photographing landscapes and you are into "wide-angle" mode. For example, that lens would be on my camera if I was visiting the Grand Canyon, or other similar places when there is so much space to squeeze onto a camera sensor! Lastly, this Nikkor lens is very good for the price is sells for.

And about Pope Rockwell, hmmmm, you don't have to beleive everything he says.

What I like very much about this lens is that it goes really wide at 18mm to provide that impressive effect we've been talking about here, but still reaches a very reasonable and useful 35mm focal length. So, in terms of wide angle lens, I think you get the best of both worlds because you can use it as "walkaround" lens if you're photographing landscapes and you are into "wide-angle" mode. For example, that lens would be on my camera if I was visiting the Grand Canyon, or other similar places when there is so much space to squeeze onto a camera sensor! Lastly, this Nikkor lens is very good for the price is sells for.

And about Pope Rockwell, hmmmm, you don't have to beleive everything he says.

That lens is honestly what I am leaning towards, however it's showing it's back ordered through Nikon and B&H. Any other respectable sources that you recommend? I should be purchasing everything in the next 2-3 weeks, depending on when my tax refund gets here.
And I was also looking at the NikonAF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Lens just for S&Gs. Is that lens worth the extra $500 over the 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G FX AF-S ED IF NIKKOR

Thanks for that. I am definitely leaning towards going with this, based on what I'm reading. However, not discrediting what you're saying, because that field map shows, but are you using automatic distortion correction on your camera? I found a review on Kenrockwell.com that states:

The Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G FX AF-S ED IF NIKKOR (2013-) has a lot of barrel distortion at 18mm, improving to not being visible at 35mm.
The good news is that recent digital cameras like the D90, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D7000, D4, D600, D800 and D800E can be set to correct the distortion automatically in-camera, so long as you have the latest firmware! This test is made without any in-camera correction.

No problem, be aware that ALL ultra-wide lenses suffer from some degree of barrel distortion. There is no escape from that. I don't use the in-camera correction for that, once this only affects JPEG files, and I only shoot in RAW format (Ken Rockwell only shoots JPEG - and don't trust him too much... he talks a lot with strong personal bias to everything). While developing my RAW files at Lightroom, I always do lens corrections, to all shots/lenses, no exception, including this lens. It will correct any distortion in the image, with no issues. However, I must tell you that the distortion is not so bad, when compared to other lenses in the ultra-wide angle range. Don't fear it.

The link I shared before also shows the distortion data.

Good luck!

No problem, be aware that ALL ultra-wide lenses suffer from some degree of barrel distortion. There is no escape from that. I don't use the in-camera correction for that, once this only affects JPEG files, and I only shoot in RAW format (Ken Rockwell only shoots JPEG). While developing my RAW files at Lightroom, I always do lens corrections, to all shots/lenses, no exception, including this lens. It will correct any distortion in the image, with no issues. However, I must tell you that the distortion is not so bad, when compared to other lenses in the ultra-wide angle range. Don't fear it.

The link I shared before also shows the distortion data.

Good luck!

Sounds like I will need to learn LR now :)

Also, long exposures are a great use for the newer Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED. In fact, I am doing one right now, at a very clear starlit night where I am right now. Have fun!

Also, long exposures are a great use for the newer Nikkor AF-S 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED. In fact, I am doing one right now, at a very clear starlit night where I am right now. Have fun!

Awesome! I cant wait!

Last edited:
Any other respectable sources that you recommend? I should be purchasing everything in the next 2-3 weeks, depending on when my tax refund gets here.

I'm not from the US, but it seems like Adorama has it in stock.

And I was also looking at the NikonAF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Lens just for S&Gs. Is that lens worth the extra $500 over the 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G FX AF-S ED IF NIKKOR

I can't speak of this other lens as I've never seen it, nor even tried it myself. When I bought my 18-35mm f3.5/4.5, it was pretty much all the money I had left after buying all my other gear, so I settled on that one. That being said, it's a lot of lens for the money. Read some more on both lenses, ask feedback here, and if you have the extra money, why not, but if you are on a budget, and want to save that 500$ for something else, trust me, you won't be deceived.

As far as long exposure, did you look at Ruifo's album? He's got some amazing night sky shoots that just makes me so freakin' jealous, but I'll get there myself too one day...

Awesome! I cant wait!

I was also looking at the AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Lens just for S&Gs. Is that lens worth the extra $500 over the 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G FX AF-S ED IF NIKKOR or will the 18-35 be a solid wide angle lens to start out with?

I never used the 16-35mm f/4G ED VR, but I'm sure it's a good and solid lens, aimed for those needing VR, like video shooters, and if you want/need to go wider, toward 16mm. I went with the 18-35 once it's sharper wide open, and faster too (f/3.5 vs. f/4). The 18-35 is better for night shots because of that (using tripod in long exposures). Most comparison reviews out there point to:

Image quality, final results:
1st = 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
2nd = 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
3rd = 16-35mm f/4G ED VR

Lens built quality (construction):
1st = 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
2nd = 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
3rd = 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED

Lens light weight:
1st = 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
2nd = 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
3rd = 14-24mm f/2.8G ED