Suggestions on new lenses

Kelbell17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a nikon D3300 and the lens I have now is a 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G. But Now I'm looking to get a better lense to shoot a friends wedding in October. Yes I know I'm no where near experienced enough or good enough to take on a huge wedding(she's having a small family wedding), but she is on a very tight budget and is impressed by my other pictures. (Have photographed her kids before) Sadly my budget is $250- $300.. so I'm looking to get a good lens that will take good pictures for her wedding and maybe a few family pictures here and there. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
IMHO: first prioritize getting a good flash.

The top choice would IMHO be a Nikon SB800 from eBay. Nikon flashes are famous for being basically unkillable, and the SB800 is the old top of the line flash from Nikon, precedessor of the SB900, SB910 and now SB5000. So its a very longterm investment and they only cost around $150-200.

Put it into slave mode and put your camera into commander mode. This way the on camera flash will tell the external flash what to do and you can be much more creative.

With the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, stop it down to f/8 and avoid the extremes of the focal range. If you stay in approx 24-50mm, you should be able to get good results.

One of the best lens for the job on a DX camera is the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8: Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens for Nikon F 693955 B&H

It would be a good complement for your 18-55mm lens, specially if you'll be shooting in an open space location. But it's way above your budget.

Alternatively, and as said above, a Speedlight flash would be a great option, specially if you'll be shooting indoors. A Nikon SB-700 or Nikon SB-800 are both great choices around your budget.
SB-700: Nikon SB-700 AF Flashlight
SB-800: Nikon Speedlight SB-800 i-TTL Flash

My third option would be either a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G or a Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G. But you'll need to be changing lenses all the time.

Good luck.

2 minimum items for the wedding would be
Sigma 17-50mm 2.8
And flash which is a must for the reception.
For my events and weddings I use two used Nikon SB-600 which each cost me less then 100$
The Sigma will help you to get shallow DOF and help you bring more light on the sensor thus keeping ISO lower

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help! But I know nothing about flashes could you enlighten me on the difference and quality of some cause I found what looks like a decent flash with good reviews and way closer to what I'm comfortable paying for one but I have no idea if it's good quality.. I'm definitely a broke college kid trying to keep the price down if you can't tell. And would you guys recommend getting a lens off eBay I have personally never used them I'm more of an amazon person but it's like $80 cheaper on ebay! The flash I found is listed below again thank you for any feedback back and all the help!!
(I-TTL Speedlite Flash Kit with Wireless Trigger for NIKON DSLR by Altura Photo)

Last edited:
If they're on a tight budget and want you to shoot their wedding, rather than you buy a flash unit (predominantly for them), get them to pay for it?

It's not a lot and it will still be cheaper than hiring someone :)

I think your lens will do fine. I agree with Solarflare. Spend the money on a good flash unit and extension cable to get the flash away from the lens. On camera flash makes poor images every time.

If they're on a tight budget and want you to shoot their wedding, rather than you buy a flash unit (predominantly for them), get them to pay for it?

That's the thing they are paying for a new lens cause mine is not the best lol and I know I will use it many more times in the future so I have no problem buying the flash. I've been wanting to get another good lense as well so I think I'm going to get one either way but I don't think they'd be comfortable paying that much money just for a flash so I planned on buying it but I also know nothing about them so

Last edited:
Just be mindful:

Singular form => Lens
Plural form => Lenses

"Lense" does not exist.

I find Yonguno are a good budget option for flashes. Need to be a little careful that you buy one with the correct modes as they do several manual only or ttl only ones as well.

It may be worth considering renting a lens or two for the wedding, it would be much cheaper than buying one.

That's the thing they are paying for a new lens cause mine is not the best lol and I know I will use it many more times in the future so I have no problem buying the flash. I've been wanting to get another good lense as well so I think I'm going to get one either way but I don't think they'd be comfortable paying that much money just for a flash so I planned on buying it but I also know nothing about them so

Fine let them buy you a new lens and then you go buy a flash unit and extension cable. Avoid on-camera flash at all cost. I wish they wouldn't put them cameras. They teach people bad habits. You are concerned about your lens and you should be concerned about the quality of your images.

Most reactions

Back