Suggestions on where to buy D610

I would not buy a d600 from a non-reputable seller. I would only buy it from a certified Nikon seller. You're paying the market value .. ie, eBay sales too. And you can buy it off of eBay from those reputable sellers too.

I just sent in my d600 too due to oil spots all over. I bought it in Dec 2013, and I cleaned it myself once back in mid 2014. Just checked it after braineck's issue. So off it goes. It was refurbished by Cameta camera when I bought it, so hopefully I'll get a brand new camera from the deal. If not, then I'll watch for spots frequently, and hopefully get the "free" upgrade at some point.

At the time I bought it the refurb'd d600 was the only option I had to get into FullFrame, and I really needed the low light sensitivity compared to my d7000 (which I still have). It was an amazing difference to me. I looked at other options of a d700 and older Canon's but the d600 just fit the bill considering that accessories were compatible with the d7000.

wait a second! How can you send it in?! your refurbished D600 ran out of warranty in March of 2014.

Honestly CGW, had you just said, "Given Canon and Nikon's various recent 'issues' with their cameras, I'd resist cheaping out." I wouldn't have pressed the issue. Both of the Big Two have had their share of defects in recent cameras.

But you wrote suggested that the specific issues Nikon had, on a few models, would not be servicable and that's really not true.

But with buying used/refurbished warranty work is always a concern--but that goes to any product. Most of my lineup was used/refurbished and I've had pretty good luck. And I take known issues into consideration before buying anything.

I still think buying a D600 today is a screaming deal. For under $1000 you can get into the FX market, with out of the best image sensors still on the market. If you have issue with spots Nikon WILL service the camera and if you continue to have spots after they service it, they WILL replace it with a brand new D610. You can't get that sort of deal with a brand new camera, even with a warranty...

Last edited:
wait a second! How can you send it in?! your refurbished D600 ran out of warranty in March of 2014.
Sorry, I used your name in vain ... and it worked :)

you forgot to mention Nikon pays for the shipping to and from their service center.

Honestly CGW, had you just said, "Given Canon and Nikon's various recent 'issues' with their cameras, I'd resist cheaping out." I wouldn't have pressed the issue. Both of the Big Two have had their share of defects in recent cameras.

But you wrote suggested that the specific issues Nikon had, on a few models, would not be servicable and that's really not true.

But with buying used/refurbished warranty work is always a concern--but that goes to any product. Most of my lineup was used/refurbished and I've had pretty good luck. And I take known issues into consideration before buying anything.

I still think buying a D600 today is a screaming deal. For under $1000 you can get into the FX market, with out of the best image sensors still on the market. If you have issue with spots Nikon WILL service the camera and if you continue to have spots after they service it, they WILL replace it with a brand new D610. You can't get that sort of deal with a brand new camera, even with a warranty...
Looks like Canon is having more problems ==> To users of the Nikon D750 digital SLR camera - possible image shading from shutter

oh wait, that's Nikon

Resolution
Please contact your nearest Nikon service center if you own a Nikon D750 digital SLR camera to which this issue applies. They will keep your camera, and examine and repair the camera's shutter free of charge, even if the camera's warranty has expired.

Just make sure you're the original owner of this or any other ailing Nikon product. That's the point of the link I posted. Guess that slipped you, too.

Just make sure you're the original owner of this or any other ailing Nikon product. That's the point of the link I posted. Guess that slipped you, too.
I'm not the original owner of mine. Braineck's not the original owner of his.
I don't think it matters at all ..they are supporting their equipment irregardless of who the original owner is. If you own the product, you get support/maintenance.

For normal warranty work, sure.

If you buy a used/refurbished camera and then the scroll-wheel breaks (after limited warranty period has passed) you are SOL. This is true for Canon or Nikon or Fuji or Sony...

But you suggested that someone should worry about Nikon products--specifically. To me it seems like Nikon is going out of their way to correct any defects (outside normal warranty work) on their bodies, regardless or warranty status or orginial ownership.

What would happen if you bought a used early 7DmII. Like maybe one of the copies that couldn't even focus on stationary objects. You're SOL. At least Nikon has recognized defects and offer free repairs (including shipping) to anyone with an affected product.

Again to sum up:

Buy a used D600 -- free shutter replacement and oil spot coverage for life (regardless of warranty or Original Owner)
Buy a used D810 -- free long exposure hot pixel coverage for life (regardless of warranty or Original Owner)
Buy a used D760 -- free flare/reflection and shutter shading on affected models for life (regardless of warranty or Original Owner)
Buy a used 7DmII -- hope to hell that it doesn't have the focusing issues and the updated firmware fixes the problem for life.

And again:

If you had said something like: Given Canon and Nikon's various recent 'issues' with their cameras, I'd resist cheaping out.

That's a completely valid statement and concern.

But to call out Nikon and then to pretend Canon bodies are not plagued with their own issues...

Then couple that with mistruths about correcting the known Nikon issues...

Last edited:
I bought mine refurbished at Cameta Camera...nothing but great service and price. Nikon even forgot to give me a strap and they shipped one out overnight for me...great company.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

I say Adorama definitely. I love all this store and they're refurbished, used items are almost brand new. The actuations on their used cams are typically super low.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

next time you use cameta, use mrrebates.com for a 3% cashback.

For normal warranty work, sure.

If you buy a used/refurbished camera and then the scroll-wheel breaks (after limited warranty period has passed) you are SOL. This is true for Canon or Nikon or Fuji or Sony...

But you suggested that someone should worry about Nikon products--specifically. To me it seems like Nikon is going out of their way to correct any defects (outside normal warranty work) on their bodies, regardless or warranty status or orginial ownership.

What would happen if you bought a used early 7DmII. Like maybe one of the copies that couldn't even focus on stationary objects. You're SOL. At least Nikon has recognized defects and offer free repairs (including shipping) to anyone with an affected product.

Again to sum up:

Buy a used D600 -- free shutter replacement and oil spot coverage for life (regardless of warranty or Original Owner)
Buy a used D810 -- free long exposure hot pixel coverage for life (regardless of warranty or Original Owner)
Buy a used D760 -- free flare/reflection and shutter shading on affected models for life (regardless of warranty or Original Owner)
Buy a used 7DmII -- hope to hell that it doesn't have the focusing issues and the updated firmware fixes the problem for life.

And again:

If you had said something like: Given Canon and Nikon's various recent 'issues' with their cameras, I'd resist cheaping out.

That's a completely valid statement and concern.

But to call out Nikon and then to pretend Canon bodies are not plagued with their own issues...

Then couple that with mistruths about correcting the known Nikon issues...

Face it, you're an unreconstructed Nikon fanboy. I'm OK with that. I like the brand, too. But Nikon's largesse has limits you're plainly uncomfortable acknowledging. The OP was talking Nikon--not Canon. I know jack about Canon. Don't own any and never have. Find a new hair to split.

Most reactions

Back