Reaction score
Website
www.pavleck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Observe this photo:
248770039_9bd013586d_o.jpg

It's uncropped to give perspective.

That city wayyyyy in the background is Minneapolis, about 18 miles away. When the weather is right, the valley in front of it will get foggy, and as the sun rises the fog explodes with purple, pink, orange and red - it makes the city look very surreal or, depending on how much fog, like it's floating above everything.

So, if you were me, how would take this shot? I'm thinking of using the 70-200 f/2.8 @ 200mm, on a tripod early in the morning as the sun rises, but I'm not totally sure.
That's North by the way, so the sun will be rising on the right.

I've come across the perfect scene for this a few times, but I just haven't had a tripod with me, or else I'd pull over and arrange it. But I want to see if anyone else has any ideas.

I may HDR this one.

Well, seems like you have found out how to take "your" shot of "floating Minneapolis" ... and therefore you should from now on carry the tripod with you in the boot at all times so you don't come upon the right moment once again only to think "Dang! If only I had my tripod on me now!" The same applies to the camera (of course :er: :biggrin: ). And then you pull over where the valley begins just so you don't get this much of a foreground and ... even try your HDR and I am already quite curious to see how it will turn out!

(Time for the real experts to come and speak up now! Mrs Laywoman has said her piece!)

Maybe you could avoid some of the street lamps from on top of or a balcony of the building on the right.

IMO that's too far away and you'll get a fuzzywuzzy picture with a 200 from that distance. That may be the look you're going for though?

Rob

I am guessing you took the shot around Richfield near I 35W.
Anyway, any large aperture long focal length might work, but I am sticking with Rob, and saying get a bit closer if you can. Try to use a lens with a really BIG front element.

Actually, the shot is in Burnsville, all the way by CR13 - it's the highest vantage point south of the Minnesota river that I can get to, and also where I live.
Fuzzywuzzy look eh? Hrmm, that's about the best vantage point I have. Suppose I drop the 100$ to rent a Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 IF-ED II lense. The front element is over 6 inches (160mm) so it should capture some decent light. Combine that with a TC and that's 800mm at.. what.. f/4?
Oh, and I won't have to worry about the streetlamps, I was at a lower vantage point then I'd normally shoot at if/when I take this shot. Plus, there's a 4 story building recently put up, I may go ask the management if I can use the roof :)

It's not so much the length and aperture as the crap in the air between you and the buildings. By all means go for it, but I tried something very similar with canary wharf from greenwich (only about a two mile gap) and the results were disappointing with a 200 f2.8.

Rob

Sorry about reviving an older thread, but it's just easier this way hehe. Oddly enough, I noticed I can see the same skyline from the Park and Ride ramp I use. And have used for several years - I guess my eyes are finally 'opening' up hehe. Anyway, here's a shot taken with the cheap 70-300 Nikkor non-ED lens - it's at 300mm, and it's not half bad, I think if I used the 80-200 f/2.8 with a TC and a good tripod, the next time the purple & pink fog in the valley below and the red & orange sky above come around I'll have a good shot.
Weirdly enough, as I was taking some shots after work, someone else came up and started taking shots too

260991099_1c7166f09c_o.jpg

Throw on a polarizer.

Most reactions

Back