Suicide…

ntbbc6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm doing a series of suicides for my final project in my photo class. the catch is that these are in ways that a person would not be able to kill themselves. Let me know what you think.

2479244189_5c98d80f80.jpg

2479244525_332a66ac24.jpg

2480059006_5937c0fe7d.jpg

2480058656_b505b14d64.jpg

2480057410_ca350b581c.jpg

Fairly morbid, but it's an interesting set. I like the concept of the unseemingly fatal scenarios.

Jumping off of a bench, for example, hehe.

You chose a VERY sensitive topic to do, and can be (is to myself) offending.

Aside from the disgusting theme, the photos have that "cheesy hacker" film feel to them. I dunno, too staged or something. The feel of it being "real" just ins't there.

But, people ending their own lives will only turn away most viewers.

Weird idea. Or should I say interesting? I like the idea of the sucker dart on the head, but I think it could be cropped a bit tighter. I really like the jumping off a bench one, though.

I like it. I don't find it offensive or disgusting... (It's actually pretty funny to me)

The guy jumping off of the bench is great.
I think the eraser one could be more effective if you could see the eraser in the first photo. It just seems like the first photo needs the second one to 'explain' it.

If you have more I'd love to see them.

In the first two, I would perhaps (if possible with the makeup) show the person in the act of cutting herself, eraser style. That a way your message is a bit more clearer. Cause truthfully, without understanding what you were trying to do, I wouldn't have made the connection with 1, 2, and 4.

#5 is amazing. I don't find it comical though, at all... As a former drug user I get a lot of symbolism from this, as the pills we usually take when we're feeling down make us feel better, but the content feeling is fake. So in a way, the pills are full of empty hope... I doubt many will see it that way, but for me, this totally clicked, and was amazing.

Someone told me art sometimes is about knowing the limits between what is okay and what is taboo, and then INTENTIONALLY stepping over them. I agree with this, and find your work both edgy and good.

Btw, as a noob, I strongly suggest you think about lowering the saturation, especially on the ones where the people are already dead. I'm not saying you should, but when I downloaded one of the photos and set the saturation to -50, it REALLY made the feel of death pop out. With such strong colors the emphasis is more on the gore, whereas with muted colors it has a more morbid feel to it (making it possibly seem more satirical). Or perhaps lower the saturation, and only saturate the object of death and/or blood. I don't think there's anything wrong with them as is, but I just am trying to be creative.

I agree with everyone about the first two but overall, I like the series.

Are you open to suggestions in suicide methoed or is that one of the aspects you wish to do soly on your own?

Nice series. The blood is a bit to slasher film tho, and i agree the eraser needs to be in the first shot. The jumping off a bench is a great idea, and well executed. I don't believe these will offend people all that much, maybe a few that have been closely effected.

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions. I am open to more ideas if anyone has any. I'll work on putting up some alterations to see which approaches work best for the content.

I looked, I should not have and it is my fault. I can not say I was offended, but I am sensitive about the subject because I lost two close family members to suicide. But that Is my problem because I looked even knowing the subject matter. I would not care to let children view the thread. Beyond that. the pictures had a snapshot quality, which if that's what you were looking for is find. I think a gritter, old news photo quality- maybe in Black and White high contrast a little grainy, printed on glossy paper would have worked better. IMHO
Sharpe

Thanks for all the comments everyone! I really appreciate the suggestions. I am open to more ideas if anyone has any. I'll work on putting up some alterations to see which approaches work best for the content.

Suggestions:

1) Seppuku with a ruler

2) Running infront of a bus parked in a bus garadge

strange but the guy jumping off the bench was pretty cool.. LOL

Most reactions

Back