Sun blown out in photo

Now I'm by no means an expert. I just like to look at HDR photos and practice from time to time. However, IMO the picture of a "properly exposed" sun posted by 480Sparky perfectly demonstrated Light Guru's initial point that you guys tore apart - putting that version of the sun into the OP's pic would be the most ridiculous looking image despite the fact that it would include every "perfect" exposure. The sun does need to be a tad blown out to keep it looking like a setting/rising sun rather than a cloudy moonlit shot.

My .02

I merely posted the image to quell the "never seen a photo of the sun that's not totally blown out" camp.

Think about it....... they're all around if you just look.

No offence meant but the "properly exposed" shot of the sun has no context. I think it's reasonable to accept that the sun will be blown out when included in the vast majority of photos. I suppose that at dusk or dawn it may be possible to achieve a nice red orb, but otherwise it is going to lack form and detail and leave that part of the image where it appears totally bleached.

I prefer the original shot from the OP.

Bynx said:
In an HDR forum we are talking about multiple images.
As for your next statement, well thats your opinion. And of course, you are speaking for all images with the sun in them. tsk tsk tsk. Some light Guru.

This is a really good image that would even be spectacular had you shot a few more much underexposed shots for that bright sun filled area. You might not use all the exposures, but enough to make it perfect.

What makes it a good image that could be spectacular ? its a road trees and sky, sky looks ok but rest is boring

I should've been more clear. The image you posted looks like a poorly exposed shot of the moon far more than it does the sun...

I think you need new glasses then.

.......Okay, now you're talkin' in my good ear.

Could you provide an example of what you're talking about?

I don't understand what you're asking for..... the sun is always the same brightness. So exposing it would be pretty consistent.

Unless, of course, I wait for the sun to set. Then I'm in for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong exposure.

Okay, if it's too difficult to do, then it's okay to say that...

...putting that version of the sun into the OP's pic would be the most ridiculous looking image despite the fact that it would include every "perfect" exposure. The sun does need to be a tad blown out to keep it looking like a setting/rising sun rather than a cloudy moonlit shot.

Exactly.

The idea that HDR must present an image that is "perfect" is a silly concept, as no one can identify what "perfect" is...

I merely posted the image to quell the "never seen a photo of the sun that's not totally blown out" camp.

Think about it....... they're all around if you just look.

And now I have.

I've never seen a photos of a lot of things. The sun is nothing special...

No offence meant but the "properly exposed" shot of the sun has no context. I think it's reasonable to accept that the sun will be blown out when included in the vast majority of photos. I suppose that at dusk or dawn it may be possible to achieve a nice red orb, but otherwise it is going to lack form and detail and leave that part of the image where it appears totally bleached.

I prefer the original shot from the OP.

That.

A thousand times, that...

I have been reading your comments folks and thanks for the tips and advise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back