Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok...so, this summer I'll be doing various things that put me in the sun a lot, like baseball games, and a trip to Texas :). I'm not someone who generally does the tanning thing, due to the whole cancer thing...BUT...I've heard people talking about getting a base tan so they won't burn on vacation, and things like that. Now, I'm rather certain that I'm gonna end up burnt, even with sunblock use...especially since the Hotel Dombrowski that I'll be staying at in Texas has a pool. :p

I want to hear your expert opinions...is it stupid getting the base tan? I know I've read that severe sunburns really heighten your risk of cancer down the road....and I would like to avoid that...which is why I'm asking this question...what do y'all think?

Get the base tan.
I have had similar 'issues' where spending time in the sun will
a) give a burn so bad it ends up hurting too much to move
b) keep me from going into the sun, thus ending up with a glowing white skin-tone as everyone gains their beautiful tans
c) Lathering up with sun screen every 30 min.

For recent trips I have gotten the base, and I haven't necessarily burnt since. It is hard to ignore the negatives of fake and baking, but I would guess to say if done minimally, the positives far outweigh having your skin peeling off days later. As long as you aren't planning for the leathery wrinkled look, you should be all good :D

stay away from the sun.......... its evil. :mrgreen:

I would have to agree. It's about moderation. Getting burned severely is much more serious than allowing a light tan and consistently using sunblock. You'll want to keep the sunblock coming in either instance.

Always keep your face out of the sun, and wear a hat that covers your ears, too! :sun:

terri said:
I would have to agree. It's about moderation. Getting burned severely is much more serious than allowing a light tan and consistently using sunblock. You'll want to keep the sunblock coming in either instance.

Always keep your face out of the sun, and wear a hat that covers your ears, too! :sun:

I plan to...I'm just not so sure I'll be able to keep re-applying as consistenly as I'm going to need to!

Your photo makes you look fairly light skinned. You may have to be more cautious.

Get the base tan. Like everyone else says, sunscreen, wide brimmed hat, common sense, and limit exposure time.

Remember the worse time for burning is 1-5 pm I think.

I'm lucky, dark skinned, don't burn easy, live in a state where the sun hides.

We do get rain burns or it could just be mold stains.

I don't have any advice as far as "base tanning" but I can highly recommend "BullFrog Quik Gel" spf 36. It is alcohol based so it isn't greasy and dries quick. http://www.bullfrogsunscreen.com/a_sku1.asp

it comes in a spray too, but that makes it hard to put on your face. it works way better than the spf 45 sport lotion, too. It is a little expensive at $8 - $10 for a 5 oz bottle, but totally worth it to prevent sunburn and skin cancer, which runs in my family.

I use to work outside in the AZ summers for 12 - 15 hours a day in the direct sunlight and this was the only thing that would work without having to put it on once an hour. One or two applications a day was plenty to keep me from getting burned. I tried a generic "NO AD" 45 spf and it was useless, i may as well have been applying bacon grease, i was fried after 2 hours.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll go with the basetan +sunscreen...I've already got a bit of a basetan (ok, it's a slight burn, but it WILL be a tan!) anyway. :p

might be good to look it up on the gigaweb or ask an md to confirm.

i'm just about negroid since i've been out and about so much, but I'd lather on the heavy spf since 15spf acts just like a magnifying glass (ok, ok...that's probably not true, but you know what I mean).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back