Sun/Shadow Help

My apologies, at the risk of sounding ignorant - when you are talking about setting up your camera in the one spot are you suggesting you only take one photo vs. having your shutter set to rapid fire? Remember, in my horse world they way that the horse is at the top of his stride is what we want (this horse, from a stride standpoint, isn't going to get any better in this photo) - which means studying in as much as you can, the cadence of the horse as he/she is trotting - you have to QUICKLY size up how the horse moves to get a one off shot at the top of his/her stride. Does that make sense? Or would you set it to multiple frames in that one spot where the camera is focused?

I'm hoping that makes sense...please let me know if I'm not.

Thanks again!

Makes perfect sense, I would take multiple shots and hope one turns out the way I want it. I guess it would be trial and error testing lol.

Here is my version... Did a little curves adjustment and then a little dodging and burning.

Very nice.

Speaking of noise...this is an area I need more help in - if you were typically shooting on a day like this (high sun, lots of shadows, and a horse trotting fairly quickly in front of you) can someone suggest an approximate ISO setting to reduce the noise as much as possible?

Thanks!
To get rid of noise just set your ISO as low as possible. I dont know what lens you are shooting with because that will make a difference as well. The EXIF for the shot says you were shooting at ISO 2800 1/2000 at f13. I would say you could bring your aperture down to f8 which would allow you to drop you ISO down a bit to help reduce the noise.

That shot was taken with a Nikkor f/2.8 24-70mm lens - I LOVE it especially for shooting indoors - and now that I think of it, I had my ISO set to auto...I've got to change that - because I agree, that's way to high for those conditions outside.

All I did with this was I used the Shadow/Highlight tool in CS3

DSC_6849-1.jpg

ptyler22 - that looks beautiful too! I realize how naive I am regarding PP tools. I need some basic PP techniques and I do play around with the Lightroom stuff, but methinks some higher education is necessary :)

Thank you for taking your time to work with my photo and give me some help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back