Sunlit building

Southbound33

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just an old Charleston style building on a hot and muggy day. The sky is white with humidity. I only use minimal edits. Never photoshop or heavy modification but... if I wanted to bring out the street art on the building, what would be the best way? Feel free to edit
IMG_3670.JPG

Nice golden hour light!

Thanks! I really like the context of this pic. Its just an old rugged building that looks like crap in bad light, but when the sun lights it up, it shows its age and all of its scars and the little bit of street art on its side that reads "this is home"

There are three things I would've done differently here.

1) The graffiti is very small compared to the size of the frame. This alone takes from it's significance. Make it bigger in the frame. You do not need to show the whole building, it's a very repetitive shape so you can easily convey the building with just a proportion of the repetition. Definitely loose the distracting buildings to the left and right.

2) It was shot with a wide angle pointing up. You're introducing a lot of exaggerated perspective here. With a tighter crop you could've moved away a little with a longer focal length lens.

3) Your main point of interest is in the shadow. It really needs to be brighter. Fortunately you can make the figure little brighter without making the image look unreal, this brings your eye to the right spot (obviously you can't make black lettering brighter).

So making it bigger, reducing the distortion, increasing the relative brightness, and introducing a composition that places the main interest on a strong diagonal, I came up with this:

mod-1.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back