Sunny Day, Stormy Mountain

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
It was a cold and windy, but sunny day last Sunday here. A front was pushing through. Storms kept appearing and disappearing over the mountains, sometimes only lasting a few minutes. I have a few pictures of one storm forming, engulfing the whole Peak then dissipating so fast that the storm was totally gone while a lot of snow was still falling on the front of the peak for another 4-5 minutes. It looked like a some mist in front of the mountain. I haven't edited those yet but I liked this one. I tried to keep enough of the surrounding land and sky to show how this is just a little, isolated snowstorm on Pikes Peak from the passing front. It appeared and disappeared in about 10 minutes.

It was a little too blue from the polarizer so I had to adjust color balance but then the sky was not as blue as normal so I isolated the sky and adjusted that separately. The land in front was a little darker than reality also so I separately brightened it a little. I thought it came out pretty well and it really does look very close to what I actually saw. Sony 717, tripod and Hoya circular polarizer.

DSC08255re650.jpg

I'm looking at this picture on my home monitor and it looks oversaturated, especially the ground in front. It looked great on my main monitor at work. Again, it's hard to judge what it will look like on another monitor.

What are other people seeing?

It's a bit oversaturated maybe, but the contrast with the sky/cloud/mountain makes it work.

Man, if I lived where you do I'd have to work nights so I could shoot pics during the day!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back