Sunpak PZ42XC

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jeljohns, Feb 26, 2009.

1. jeljohns

jeljohns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anyone have experience using this with Canon digital cameras? At $150 it is a better budget option than the Canon flash. Since I am just getting started I really can't justify spending that much on a flash right now.

2. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    well the 430EX you could find for 180-220

3. jeljohns

jeljohns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I could probably swing $180, where have it seen it at that price? I've checked Amazon, Ebay, and B&H. They all list $230 and up.

4. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
  5. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This Sunpak PZ42X is compatible with Canon E-TTL EOS cameras. Not sure if it's the same thing as the PZ42XC.
    I really don't think they'll get any more in stock...the 430EX is out of production and has been replaced by the 430EX II.

6. Jaszek

Photos OK to edit
    yea true. O and sorry for not doing my research, didnt know the sunpack has e-ttl lol.

7. jeljohns

jeljohns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure what that means. What is the difference between e-TTL and just TTL?

What about the Canon 540 EZ? I found a used one of those for $80. I guess at this point I'm afraid to buy anything because I don't know enough about flash/my camera to know which ones would be compatible.

Do the canon flashes allow you to control them through the camera?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  8. anglingag

anglingag TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a limited knowledge on flashes, but enough to get by. In no means I am an expert, so heres my "weigh in".

I have the Sunpak PZ42X for Canon. I am very happy with it. The flash feels well made and sturdy on my Canon Rebel XS. I have added a battery grip which helps counter balance the weight of the flash. I have not experienced any misfires and the recycle time is very fast. I do not have any additional flashes, so can't do a full comparison.

The photo quality of the Sunpak versus the pop-up flash is astounding. The ttl does help, but I have not seen any instances where I would HAVE to have it or I am just naive to the full usage for it. If you are stuck between the PZ42X and PZ40X, I went with the PZ42X over the PZ40X because of the swivel head; whats $10 more.

Overall imo a great inexpensive flash to buy. I did a lot of research on inexpensive flashes and read a ton of reviews. The Sunpak PZ42X had a number of very good reviews on it but limited information. I would give it a "A", would have been a "A+" if there was more information on it.

I have placed a purchase on the Cactus V2s Wireless Flash Triggers to seem if they work (not too much information on the two being used together). I have received and email confirming that they should work (once again, lack of information).

Give me some time to post some pictures of the Sunpak PZ42X and the pop-up flash on the XS.

9. anglingag

anglingag TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    oh and the Sunpak PZ42XC stands for it is compatible with Canon, and then the Sunpak PZ42XN is for Nikon.

10. jeljohns

jeljohns TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the info. I would love to see your pictures using the flash. There are just SO many different brands of flash and I want to make sure I'm making a good decision. I've tried to justify the cost of a Canon flash, but at this time I just can't spend the money so I'm looking for the next best thing.

11. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One that I've heard people like for a third party flash is a Sigma 500 super it's ttl and if I recall correctly can be used as a master. It's generally about 150 used I believe.

12. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Not 100% positive. But I think the 540 EZ can ONLY work as a manual flash in the newer Canon DSLR since it do not support e-TTL.