Sunpak Tripods?

Digital Dustin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been searching this forum and some other places and I haven't found many reviews on these Sunpak tripods yet they get very good reviews on Amazon and other places. Anybody have any experiences with these tripods?

I have a sunpak tripod with the three-way pan/tilt head. One of their more expensive models though I can't remember exactly which. It's the only photography-related purchase I regret, honestly. Mostly things are non-intuitive to adjust, it takes forever to put together and take down, I'd recommend something with a better name to it, and next time, I'm going with a ball head.

I have a sunpak tripod with the three-way pan/tilt head. One of their more expensive models though I can't remember exactly which. It's the only photography-related purchase I regret, honestly. Mostly things are non-intuitive to adjust, it takes forever to put together and take down, I'd recommend something with a better name to it, and next time, I'm going with a ball head.

got any suggestions for a tripod under 100? I'm not looking for a "pro quality" tripod, just one that isnt a POS.:D

A good way to start is by listing the heaviest camera+lens you would use on the tripod.

There are a few Bogen/Manfrotto tripod w/ head combinations to choose from under or around $100. It all depends on whether or not your camera+lens is too heavy.

A good way to start is by listing the heaviest camera+lens you would use on the tripod.

There are a few Bogen/Manfrotto tripod w/ head combinations to choose from under or around $100. It all depends on whether or not your camera+lens is too heavy.

Nikon D5000 with the kit lens.....

Its going to be still a lightweight tripod but those tripods (originally called digipods) are going to be a good option for something in your budget. If you can increase your budget there will be better options that are going to be heavier but sturdier. For landscapes, I prefer 3way pan heads to adjust the axis' independently.

Velbon and Sunpaks make several good tripods as well but they tend to be the upper tier of their line priced above $100.

The other option is to go used.. against staying with Bogen/Manfrotto. There isn't much to break on a tripod so used (even well used) are still good options. Look towards the Bogen/Manfrotto 3001 series legs and your choice of heads. Mine is a beat up one but found at a camera swap for $35... still works like a champ.

Here are a few samples of what I found on ebay:

NEW IN BOX PROFESSIONAL BOGEN 3001 TRIPOD w/ 3025 HEAD - eBay (item 380186199377 end time Jan-07-10 09:32:29 PST)

Bogen 3001 Professional Camera Tripod legs Manfrotto - eBay (item 320467435175 end time Jan-05-10 18:41:51 PST)

the general thing to consider are three things:

1) Price
2) Weight
3) Stability

you can only pick 2 of the 3. Example: If you want light weight (carbon fiber gitzo for example) and stable, you have to accept a high price. If you want low price and stability, you will have to accept a heavy tripod. If you want low price and lightweight, you'll have to accept that it won't provide solid stability.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here are a few samples of what I found on ebay:

NEW IN BOX PROFESSIONAL BOGEN 3001 TRIPOD w/ 3025 HEAD - eBay (item 380186199377 end time Jan-07-10 09:32:29 PST)

Bogen 3001 Professional Camera Tripod legs Manfrotto - eBay (item 320467435175 end time Jan-05-10 18:41:51 PST)

the general thing to consider are three things:

1) Price
2) Weight
3) Stability

you can only pick 2 of the 3. Example: If you want light weight (carbon fiber gitzo for example) and stable, you have to accept a high price. If you want low price and stability, you will have to accept a heavy tripod. If you want low price and lightweight, you'll have to accept that it won't provide solid stability.

well weight is no issue for me. I'm Active Duty Army and a 10 pound tripod mounted on my camera pack has me :lmao:. I'm used to an 80 pound ruck with IBA, plates and ACH. I think I can handle a tripod.:D

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back