Sunrise at Llantwit Major, South Wales, UK

thereyougo!

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got up at 5.30 this morning to make the 1 hr drive to Llantwit Major on the Heritage Coast of South Wales. The forecast was for clear weather, but I was hoping for a little bit of interest in the sky - it being clearer meant I would need to get there at least an hour before sunrise to get the best light. Sunrise time coincided with high tide. The tide rises VERY quickly here and I got my feet wet a few times. Wearing Goretex ankle boots, but the water went over the top. I do have wellington boots, but they take too long to put on, especially in the dark.

I picked a location where the Col Huw river meets the sea.

Pentax 645Z, DA 28 - 45 variety of Lee Filters

Llantwit-Major-sunrise by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Llantwit-Major-sunrise-3 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Llantwit-Major-sunrise-5 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Llantwit-Major-sunrise-6 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Llantwit-Major-sunrise-4 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Hard choice but I think #1 does it for me. Nice colors and focus.
Can I ask, did you use a tripod down low or did you get that low? I am at the point of getting down may not be the problem, just getting back up
And did you have any protective gear on the camera?
Thanks and nice efforts.
Nancy

esp 1 and 4, the detail of the headland rock is nice in 4 but 1 is the pick for me, worth the effort :)

Beautiful! These are all winners but I particularly love the water movement and perfect sunrise feel of #4.

Hard choice but I think #1 does it for me. Nice colors and focus.
Can I ask, did you use a tripod down low or did you get that low? I am at the point of getting down may not be the problem, just getting back up
And did you have any protective gear on the camera?
Thanks and nice efforts.
Nancy

I used my tripod, a substantial tripod - Manfrotto MT057C3 with the MH057MO Q5 bullhead but only opened up one section of each leg so not up at full height. The Pentax 645Z and the DA 28 - 45 are both weather sealed so very able to take splashes, though they didn't actually get any. I did a workshop with Cornish photographer Ross Hoddinott near Bude in November and jumped away from my loaded tripod as a huge wave came through. Despite being on sand, the tripod stayed in one place without even any movement. This time I was on a concrete path, though they waves still came over. This is my first time at this location, though as a child I did spend some summers down at Ffontigari a few miles further east.

The one thing I could have done better was to have put my wellington boots on!

Great shots! 4 is great. I like the sun position in it. Captured well.

4 for me. It's tough getting up early, but less hassle through the winter months. Definitely worth the effort, even if your feet got wet!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back