Sunrise over Galveston (I had to get up at 4:30, so look :P) (15 pics)

clarinetJWD

The Naked Spammer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
jwdphotography.com
It was a gorgeous morning as the sun began to rise over East Beach in Galveston. There was a man going for a morning stroll with his dogs, two fisherman, and two photographers. Here's what one of the photographers came up with. Unfortunately Corry accidentally deleted the photos, which is a shame as I know for a fact she had some stunning shots! Here we go:

Penninsulaforum.jpg

LightRaysforum.jpg

WalktheDogforum.jpg

Wavesforum.jpg

Fishermenforum.jpg

GoldenSunforum.jpg

ColorWheelforum.jpg

Driftwoodforum.jpg

Peeringforum.jpg

FigureontheWallforum.jpg

Cloudyforum.jpg

CloudyTooforum.jpg

LifeGuardforum.jpg

WhiteCranesforum.jpg

Gralvestonforum.jpg

These are AMAZING JOE!!!!!!!! I'm feeling sick all over again for losing my shots. We're so doing this again sometime....it was an AWESOME experience!!!!

Oh my goodness........

I am beyond words.

1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13 are all astoundingly beautiful. And of course 15 as well.

Were these shot with filters? What lens(es?) were you using?

midget patrol said:
Oh my goodness........

I am beyond words.

1, 2, 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 13 are all astoundingly beautiful. And of course 15 as well.

Were these shot with filters? What lens(es?) were you using?
nearly all of them were shot with the Hoya S-HMC Circular Polarizer and the 18-70 ED kit lens. A few were shot instead with the 75-300 AF lens, and the same filter

Thanks a ton for the compliments :)

Mr Joe.... AWESOME!

Corry, do you know that there is a chance to restore your pictures from a card? there are a few programs that might od this.. i will look for them in the net for you if you want...

beautiful series joe! picking favs... 2, 4, 7...

:thumbup:

aaand... how did you achives such wonderful colours in number 7?
I could stare at this photo for ages!

mentos_007 said:
Mr Joe.... AWESOME!

Corry, do you know that there is a chance to restore your pictures from a card? there are a few programs that might od this.. i will look for them in the net for you if you want...

i've heard of this too... i think my lexar card came with some photo-restore software...

JTHphoto said:
i've heard of this too... i think my lexar card came with some photo-restore software...

I don't think it works when you accidentally delete them because you thought you already had them on a CD (but it was the OTHER card that was on a CD), and you already totally filled up the card again.

Wow...such beautiful photos. Almost like I was there. Er...wait...I was. :) I think that morning might have been one of my very favorite parts of the trip. :)

Thanks everyone :)
A few of you have asked about the processing, so I'll give you an overview. When shooting into the sun, most everything else tends to be underexposed. On a couple of shots (the driftwood one) I used a flash to expose the foreground. Later in I converted the RAW files with RawShooter 2006, setting a custom white balance for each shot (how I achieved the color on No. 6)

In Photoshop, I duplicated the background layer, and used curves to make the water/land look right. I then took the eraser and erased the sky. I used curves on the rear layer to make the sky look right. that's pretty much all I did!

Thanks everyone :)

(Looks like I made a 'thanks everyone' sandwich!)

pacereve said:
You make me jealous! I'd love to have a setting like that to photograph. Awesome work but 4:30?? jeez! brave fellow you are!

He didn't mention that I was up at 4:30 am as well! HE at least had a nap later that day! :lol:

Most reactions

Back