Sunrise pictures

robertwsimpson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope your monitor brightness is cranked all the way up!

3901651008_a62b42a1ca_o.jpg

3900869553_d29ac52432_o.jpg

3900869763_79bfb8b72b_o.jpg

3900869885_ca77b6dc9c_o.jpg

I've been there so I know the mood of these pictures. While 1 is just too dark on this monitor I do like the combination of elements in 2, 3 and 4. The dark and light in the sky (& as always I love red in a sky), the ridge of white clouds in 2, the foreground elements of the grass in 2 really adding to the distance feel of the background and the catch of the splashing waves is great. The rocks in 4 are a bit overpowering so maybe a different crop to cut them back some.

I fussed with one as it's all PP practice for me. And it's more enjoyable to play with a pic you enjoy looking at. And remember, while there is all the technical aspects of this business, there's a large component of personal taste as well. I wanted to lighten it up but preserve that before/after the day begins/ends feel. I wasn't sure how to handle that cloud edge coming in from the left into the red sky.

3900869763_79bfb8b72b_osunrise.jpg

I like the composition of the images, but they need to be lightened up a bit (I am looking at them on a calibrated monitor). I see that last two images were shot at f/2. This makes the DOF too shallow for the image (especially for the last image) - I suspect that you were trying to keep the shutter speed up to catch the splashing wave. Overall, nice images

thanks for the compliments:)

I have realized the error in my ways, and will from now on change the settings on my monitor when I'm PPing images... I know I see them way brighter than others do. Also, I did the f/2 to have a fast shutter, but I kind of liked the effect it created. I don't mind that the sunrise is a "secondary" subject... with a tad bit of sharpening, it comes into focus just right.

thanks again for the comments! I wish my camera had ok performance at high ISO, but alas, I am stuck with wide apertures instead. oh well!

Most reactions

Back