Sunrises in New Smyrna Beach, FL -- Critiques?

cigrainger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How can I get better? These were with a Pentax K100D (I bumped up the contrast and saturation a bit on the camera -- not much -- and used "cloudy" white balance), kit lens, UV and circular polarizing filter (Hoya MC), and I threw a warming filter on in photoshop.

I was on aperture priority, and was trying to shoot at about 11+ to keep the DOF nice and deep without pushing the shutter speed so low that camera shake occurred (a nice feature of the K100D is that I could push it down pretty far).

sunrise111.jpg

sunrise211.jpg

sunrise3-1.jpg

sunrise4-1.jpg

I like the first shot better. I found a tripod greatly improves my landscape shots especially in low light conditions and it allows me to compose the scene more leisurely.

Thanks -- yeah... I really need a tripod, but at the same time I think that using slow exposures on the ocean doesn't look right. I wish I could afford a tripod right now -- I'd love to take some night shots.

Any other suggestions?

The second one would have been a great shot if that darned palm tree wasn't dead!

Thanks guys -- I definitely will get a tripod, and I wish that palm tree wasn't dead too. It's right across the street from my house -- maybe tomorrow morning I'll go for a drive to try to find some better silhouettes.

Personally I prefer the composition of the 3rd shot, stronger foreground.

The second shot is a bit too dark in the foreground & to be honest the palm tree just doesn't work for me.

All the shots have nice colour

Shooting using RAW can enhance your PP options when shooting in lighting conditions such as this too

Nice series

simon

Awsome, love this beach going to do some beach photos my self this summer.. Great photos.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back