Sunset At The Bay

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by photogmatt, Jul 1, 2008.

1. photogmatt

photogmatt TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

This one was taken on a recent vacation to Negril, specifically on bloody bay beach. Sb-600 bare(I think 1/2 or 1/4), high and to the right of the model. Flash triggered with Skyport. My model (my wife) was getting bitten by some bugs they call no-see-ums (as was I) so she was in no mood to let me experiment for a few hours. I was disappoint because I severely underexposed it, but after a few hours of working on it, I feel like I made it pretty good.

All feedback is always welcome.

2. LynziMarie

LynziMarie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In my opinion, it's pretty good.
    you can tell she's a little uncomfortable, her expression reads a little bit like "are you done yet?"
    but if I was getting bitten by bugs that I couldn't see.... well, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even managed to pull that off. :)

3. photogmatt

photogmatt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    Another from the same series. Not as underexposed as the previous, but still underexposed.

Again I invite any C&C, helps me get better.

4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C per req:

I agree with Lynzimarie about the expressions, but that's minor. Overall I think the images are very good. Yes, a bit underexposed, but I wouldn't change them any further. IMHO, this works just the way it is, and says, "Night shot" In #2, the only suggestion I hae is that the shadow on her right cheek is a little large and distracting - a reflector would have solved this perfectly, but other than that, great job, esp the catchlights in her eyes!
    (Oh and level your horizons! ;) )

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

5. amberlark

amberlark TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think she looks sassy in this image. I hope you don't mind, I did a bit of tweaking. I used PS Actions but you can do the same with a levels layer and then another levels layer masked. Oh and don't forget a saturation bump. I used "Digital fill flash" and " Smokeless burn" both are from AV2.

[​IMG]

Amber

6. photogmatt

photogmatt TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the feedback. I thought the horizons were pretty level, enough not to be an issue. The first was really bad to begin with, so I did what I could with it without cutting off the model. The 2nd I didn't think it really needed it, but I do see what you mean when I look harder at it. I'm with you on the fill light on the left side for sure. It's one of those things where I say to myself, if I could only go back and...

Expression, I like the 2nd expression better than the first. I'm lucky she was still sitting there long enough for me to even take these. :lol:

amber:
    I don't mind that you messed with it a bit. To me it's too overdone with your manipulation, but to each their own. ;)

7. mmcduffie1

mmcduffie1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the composition but the model isn't into it.