Sunset at the race

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by DanielK, Jun 4, 2004.

1. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

As the title says. Comments and suggestions? This was an extremely difficult shot given I was looking directly into the light and trying to capture the action of the flag and lose as little detail as possible.

[​IMG]

Daniel

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow! Looks fantastic as is to me.

3. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

Thanks! It's actually 1 of well over 20 shots I took trying to get it. The power of persistance, huh? And to add to the problems, the light kept changing.

The guy was waving the flag like a madman, so most of the pictures just had a guy waving what looked like a dish towel. This was the last shot before the light went and the only shot with a recognisable checkered flag. Whew.

I did crop it a little and made the spotlight over his head the white point, though that didn't make but a slight diference in the contrast. I thought it might be too yellow (is that a theme with me?) but No adjustment looked better than the original. I'm wishing I could make the colors pop a little more without making it look fake, but I also want to keep the focus to be on the checkered flag and not the bright spot right next to it. There's even a folded flag pointing right at the bright spot. Does anyone think this takes the attention from the checkered flag?

Ideas about any of this?

Daniel

4. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's the key for subjects like this.

I think that the checkered pattern does a pretty good job of grabbing my attention, although I suppose that the light could be darkened a bit. I didn't notice it all that much, until you pointed it out. :wink:

5. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

i have to agree with ksmatt-this is outstanding as is. excellent capture, dude- this was a technically difficult shot, but the composition is real nice, too....

6. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the praise.

Does anyone have any basic pointers for sunset shots like this?

Daniel

7. ilscuro

ilscuro TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice foto, i particulary like how you have captured some movement in the flag. :D

8. GilTphoto

GilTphoto TPF Noob!

If the sun will be in the scene, meter the sky away from the sun. Don't let the meter see any of the foreground if you wish it to silhouette (sp?).

As a sunset, it's a great shot....... but considering the main subject is a race, it would be nice to see the cars too. To try and get the foreground visible in this shot, without loosing the sunset, I would do the following:

1. Use a graduated ND filter to bring the sky closer to the foreground.
    2. Use flash for the guy with flag and/or cars. If your flash has rear curtain sync, this will enable you to have a longer exposure for the background, and a proper exposure for the foreground (if within the flashes reach).

9. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

Thanks. Having cars in this particular picture wasn't really an option. I had no clear view of them if I wanted to get the flagman and the sunset. As to flash, that's kind of a no-no since I was so close to the track. Blinding drivers coming out of a turn would be a bad thing. :)

I was really just asking about sunset shots in general. Not just this specific one. Thanks for the advice, though.

Daniel

10. canonrebel

canonrebel TPF Noob!

I assume you were going for a silouette, huh?

On my monitor, the sky is painted with pretty colors, but too much post processing made the sunset a little too unreal.

11. DanielK

DanielK TPF Noob!

Oh? That's strange. I didn't really process it. Just adjusted the contrast a tiny smidge and cropped it. I did tone down the yellow a but because I thought there was a bit much, but that was only by a hair's breadth too.

The print was about a quarter stop lighter than I expected, but that's more a characteristic of my printer, I think, because prints from the lab are pretty dead on to what I see in my monitor. Didn't you say you were getting a monitor calibrator? Is this before or after you did the calibration?

Daniel