Sunset barn

Very nice capture. My only suggestion would be to try and get a bit more contrast in the clouds and the sky.

WesternGuy

Very nice capture. My only suggestion would be to try and get a bit more contrast in the clouds and the sky.

WesternGuy

Thanks WesternGuy, I believe you're right. I'll give it a shot.

With more contrast in the sky.
IMG_9676-4r.jpg

I really like the "more contrast" one better :thumbyo:. Clouds are one of my favourite things to photograph, so it is nice to see them stand out in a pastoral image. In this case, they provide a nice balance to the barn and silos.

WesternGuy

Like the new edit better.

I really like the "more contrast" one better :thumbyo:. Clouds are one of my favourite things to photograph, so it is nice to see them stand out in a pastoral image. In this case, they provide a nice balance to the barn and silos.

WesternGuy
It really does help the over all balance. Thank you for the help.

Like the new edit better.
So do I!

I'm curious about the colour balance here and why you've chosen it, grey/brown/a splatter of orange, because the grey sky stands out as odd to me.
My edit here is not in any way definitive, only a different colour balance from your edit simply to allow comparison:

ex-1.jpg

I'm curious about the colour balance here and why you've chosen it, grey/brown/a splatter of orange, because the grey sky stands out as odd to me.
My edit here is not in any way definitive, only a different colour balance from your edit simply to allow comparison:

Thanks for the input Tim. Here in the Pacific Northwest I'm wondering "what is this blue sky you speak of"?

In all seriousness I will try working a little more blue into the sky, but not nearly as much as yours has. I do appreciative the comment though.

Thanks for the input Tim. Here in the Pacific Northwest I'm wondering "what is this blue sky you speak of"?

In all seriousness I will try working a little more blue into the sky, but not nearly as much as yours has. I do appreciative the comment though.

Aye, here is Scotland it is oft a fond and distant memory as well, kept alive by travel brochures and James Bond re-runs on the TV. ;)

I like the idea of the shot and the rustic quality.

I would ignore the sky on my edit as it is not realistic, it did add some contrast to bring the other colours out, (the trouble was that in your edit although the sky was grey the dominant hue in that grey was pure blue and not cyan,making it near impossible to make it look realistic with some colour). The trouble with computer screens is that they generate their own light, they shine their own colour balance directly in your eye. It is therefore seen by you eye as separate and without reference to the rest of the colour around it, unlike a print for example which you will always see in the same light as the immediate surroundings. The blue in the sky is not really that blue either typically only in this range:

ex-2.jpg

The human eye really only sees relative differences and not absolute qualities or even colours so that you think my blue is a little much is really a comment on just how much less blue your original is rather than the absolute colour of the sky. Hence my original comment because I wasn't sure if you realised just how grey your clear sky was, (not the cirrus clouds):

ex-2.jpg

I'm loving this barn. The light on the grass and the barn says "sunset", the title says "sunset", but all the skies in this thread so far don't really say "sunset" to me.

141620[/ATTACH]

The human eye really only sees relative differences and not absolute qualities or even colours so that you think my blue is a little much is really a comment on just how much less blue your original is rather than the absolute colour of the sky. Hence my original comment because I wasn't sure if you realised just how grey your clear sky was, (not the cirrus clouds):
[/ATTACH]

Thank you Tim for the in depth reply. As I rework this photo I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I'm loving this barn. The light on the grass and the barn says "sunset", the title says "sunset", but all the skies in this thread so far don't really say "sunset" to me.

Thank you Low-Sky. Yes "sunset" was probably not an accurate description of this photo. End of the day might have been a better choice.
The sky is the problem area, but I still have hopes of fixing it! I went by it today to see if I could possibly re shoot it but the grass had been cut.

The sky is the problem area, but I still have hopes of fixing it! I went by it today to see if I could possibly re shoot it but the grass had been cut.

Do you mind posting 50% re-size of the un-edited RAW as a jpeg? See what colour info is on it and possibly help in editing strategy to make the most of it.

I think I would prefer to warm the sky up and drop the contrast in the sky (only), but I've enjoyed all the interpretations seen so far. (rough draft idea attached- still some artifacts in need of cleaning up....)
IMG_9676-3r.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back