Sunset C&C Pls

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Einstein, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Einstein

Einstein TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I like the feeling the chair/dock in the foreground provide. Maybe I should put a corona on the arm rest:lol:

What i don't like is the back of the chair/dock is underexposed. I have done some PP but am new to it. Is there a way in gimp where i could lighten the chair to bring out more detail whilst keeping the sky/ocean as is or do you think its fine? Also does it look grainy or soft? Any tips or pp ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. srinaldo86

srinaldo86 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry I can't help but nice Shot!

3. Einstein

Einstein TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks srina! anyone else out there? I really hope to take allot of sunset/sunrise shots this summer and could use some exposure tips... especially when trying to incorporate foreground objects.

4. HikinMike

HikinMike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On this shot, you could have used a flash. Not sure why you need to see the details of the chair though. ;)

Lighting looks fine as it is. Maybe a bit too blue, but I guess it works.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you could go the HDR Route, or use a diffused flash

6. jabrake88

jabrake88 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm a newbie but I think in Photoshop there is a tool you can use to add exposure using a brush. Since it was underexposed to begin with it might not work well since it'd just be making it more white... HDR would be good though if you have another one that is more exposed.

Awesome shot though! Personally I like how the chair is more of a silhouette.

7. transformed

transformed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi there- very pretty scene. Your white balance is way on the cool end- intentional? That's part of why you are losing your detail in the chair.

[​IMG]

8. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The color balance bothers me, along with what the chair is sitting on, as I am unsure of what it is... a dock, beach, boat?. The lack of detail in the chair doesn't bother me however. It's a great scene.

9. Einstein

Einstein TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! Your both right, now you mention it i actually like the chair being in sillhouette but i think its the overall underexposure or oversaturation? of the water that bothers me. I looked up HDR and this will be the perfect shot for my first stab at it. I took 5 shots at various exposure on this one (i am new to manual and experimentg)

More usefull feedback thank you! No it was not intentional, i think i had my WB set to tungsten from shooting inside and forgott to change it :meh:. Would this make it 'cool'? I like your edit what did you do? I presume you changed the WB? What software are you using?

Again i think i had the wb in my eos on tungsten... DOH! next time will have it on auto. It is on sort of a look out patio above a dock so its raised 20 ft or so off the water, i could see how this would be confusing at a glance. Thanks for the input!

I will give the HDR a shot over the weekend and re post. Looking at some sunset shots on here i know i have a long way to go....