Sunset exposure

AJ Jewell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new, so go easy.

I was in New Brunswick, Canada this summer and snapped this picture of a sunset. I couldnt believe the colours. Here is the shot. Now to me, it looks underexposed. THe only thing I could do is up the ISO, which gave me some grain. Any thoughts on how to get better exposure out of this type of shot?

373924251_c9f0ca4e5f_o.jpg

a longer exposure, set the camera on a tripod, shoot it at a lower iso... go for say ASA100, shoot it at f/16 or f/22 .... it may be a good 30-40 second exposure... but you'll get some interesting effects.... just toy with it... if you shoot digital.... shoot a few long exposures... sunsets change alot in 30 seconds

a longer exposure, set the camera on a tripod, shoot it at a lower iso... go for say ASA100, shoot it at f/16 or f/22 .... it may be a good 30-40 second exposure... but you'll get some interesting effects.... just toy with it... if you shoot digital.... shoot a few long exposures... sunsets change alot in 30 seconds

there really isn't much reason to stop down so low, everything will be in focus when the focus is set to infinity anyways.

but as mentioned, the lowest ISO you can shoot, do so, this is especially important for long exposures on digital. your main problem will be the metering. you really just have to toy with that for sunsets. too much exposure and you loose the bold colors, but too little exposure makes it look like nighttime.

thanks for the input guys. Its too bad im not there anymore, but ill definatly have to go out at shoot some more sunsets to practice.

thanks again.

when i shoot sunsets i almost always expose for the sky (that's where the interesting colors usually are anyway) and then try to get an interesting silouette on the ground bits.

if there is something interesting to see in the foreground, you could always take 2 exposures, one that is set for the sky and one for the ground and combine the 2.

i think what this photo is lacking is the interesting foreground stuff... if there was a bird or boat or something, that would have been fantastic, but the colors (whilst very nice) don't have enough meat to them to hold my interest on their own. something to focus on to would have been tremendous.

Most reactions

Back