Sunset in Baker, Montana

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is viewed from across the lake towards town. You can plainly see the grainery against the sky. I find sunsets to be challenging. Please let me know what you think and how to improve. This shot was taken with a less than ideal lens for landscape type photos....I only had the Sigma 50-500 with me and no tripod. Not the easiest shot I've taken in low light. LOL

Thanks,

Derrick

BakerSunset5x7.jpg

Not the sharpest of focus, but as Renair said already, without a tripod that's a pretty good shot. Great sky and reflection, and those ducks really add interest to the foreground.

Thanks folks. I was out trying to shoot flying birds that day and had just packed up the tripod and was about to leave. Thought "what the heck" and took a couple shots. Handholding a Bigma even at 50mm is not that much fun in and of itself, let alone this close to dark. LOL

Derrick

The data reports settings of: ISO 800, f/13, 1/90 sec, and a focal length of 50mm.

At this size, it looks sharp enough to me, though I can't tell if it'd still present this sharpness if seen larger. But I do like the colours and all their many gradations, the "playing card" character of it (perfectly placed mirror effect), and the silhouetted buildings. No wonder why with this sunset you thought "Well, what the heck" even after you had packed up everything else, and then DID take this photo. It was worth it, I say.

Just for my own learning sake here, where would I have wanted my main focus at? What should I have focused on. If I remember right, I used autofocus (center) and focused on the buildings.

Thanks,

Derrick

I would have used and done the very same!

That's a perfect description of this: " the playing card" character of it (perfectly placed mirror effect)". I was looking for words and those just fit.

Great image! That it's handheld makes it near awesome. The tower and trees would give it away if you had flubbed it. Looks great to me tho!

How do you like that Sigma 50-500 btw? Like, maybe on a scale of 1 to 10 if you don't want to get into it.

Most reactions

Back