Sunset Over the Lake

JDS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jdsnow.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took a little over a hundred shots last night and came away with a few keepers. There was a boat there too, but I couldn't get the exposure right without blowing everything else out. I would've tried HDR, but I didn't have my tripod... Anyway, here are my favorites:

1:
normal_IMG_0341.JPG

2:
normal_IMG_0396.JPG

3:
normal_IMG_0401.JPG

4: (I need to rotate this, I know, but I like it a lot so I posted it anyway..I'll fix it :))
normal_IMG_0429.JPG

Thanks for looking :)

Great shots with fine compositions. I like them a lot. Sun sets and rise were my all-time-favourites. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I enjoyed shooting these...I'm just ready for warmer weather to arrive - my wife will start getting jealous of the camera. ;)

*bump*

Are these too bland or something? Do I need to do something to add more to them? I appreciate any and all feedback - I'm always looking to improve!

Hey JDS - I'm always looking for good honest feedback, so I hope you don't mind me offering some.

I think the subject is fairly boring considering it is as dark as it is. If the colors were more vivid or contrasting it would help. It's good composition for sure, as ravi said.

Sunsets are attractive.
Sunsets seen and photographed over an expanse of water are even more attractive.
So the subject makes these photos attractive.
Plus they were composed in a pleasing manner.
But I also feel they are a bit dark. Thanks to the ducks, at least something is going on in them, but they almost get lost.

I like how you went vertical in your landscape photography in Photo 3 in an attempt to capture the colour gradation in both the sky and more so in its reflection on the lake, and again the ducks help your composition along a lot, but I feel there is more in there with regards to the highlights. I would not want to try on these small websized versions, but you might see what the histrogrammes say once you start rotating the last, for example, and see how much you can safely push the slider on the highlights.

Much more the kind of feedback I was looking for - thanks!

So, with the sun directly behind those trees as it went down, is there a way in-camera to bring out the color without doing an HDR? I tried it on a few shots by slowing down the shutter, but it blew everything else out...Or maybe I just need to play around with it all some more. :)

Thanks again!

Much more the kind of feedback I was looking for - thanks!

So, with the sun directly behind those trees as it went down, is there a way in-camera to bring out the color without doing an HDR? I tried it on a few shots by slowing down the shutter, but it blew everything else out...Or maybe I just need to play around with it all some more. :)

Thanks again!

I took some similar shots the other day and had the same problem with either to dark or blowing out the clouds in the sky. I think without HDR you have to choose one or the other. I like your pictures, they have a calming effect to them. I also know how you feel about not having your tripod with you, I just bought a manfrotto a few weeks ago and I keep forgetting to grab it when I grab the rest of my gear. I two didn't have mine with me when I took similar shots.

I see your from Oakdale, me too just in another state :lol:

I see your from Oakdale, me too just in another state :lol:

Yeah, except no one has ever heard of the Oakdale I'm in...even people in the part of the state I'm from. I can drive an hour in any direction, and 9 out of 10 people have never heard of Oakdale. :)

I'm going to try some more shots this evening I think - as long as it doesn't get too cloudy I'm going to try some HDR sunset shots. I gotta remember to get that tripod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mole
I think without HDR you have to choose one or the other.

Alternatively you could use a neutral density graduated filter on the sky.

I stand corrected, I forgot about that filter.

Great shots and composition. I agree earlier from a post above that the shot appear a little on the underexposed side.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back