Sunset -- Soft vs. Sharpened?

echoyjeff222

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For the first time today, I stopped myself from using the sharpening tool in PP. I thought that the result ended up a bit harsh ... I wanted a calmer mood. Does it make sense to use soften photos like these? I simply used the clarity option in lightroom and made it -100.

Thoughts? Here's the comparison:

Soft:

Sunset 1 Vertical SOFTT by .Jeffrey L., on Flickr

Sharpened:

Sunset 1 Vertical by .Jeffrey L., on Flickr

I usually try to make make local adjustments rather than global adjustments.

The Clarity slider adjusts mid-tone contrast.
Enhancing Clarity (+ values) has some what of a sharpening effect.
So yes, Clarity is often used to soften by using a negative value.

IMO, the vertical format does not work here.

I also like the sharpened version better. A vertical subject usually looks better in a vertical format and a sunset isn't a vertical subject.
The unsharpened version would make a great background if you had a more vertical subject in the fore ground, like a couple on the beach???

I love sunsets and red sky`s , i prefer the sharpened version.

Nice work

John

I like that last one. More a dreamy abstract than a "real" landscape and very calming to look at.

It depends on what kind of feeling you want to transfer with the photo. First one is oniric, dream-style, and the photo is a medium to get the observer away from reality towards your vision. Second one is more realistic, and gives me the feeling of trying to bring attention of the observer on how much beautiful the sunset is.

In other words, to me the n. 1 gives an insight, n. 2 invite to an outsight.

I usually try to make make local adjustments rather than global adjustments.

That's really good advice. Some editing tools will work well on parts of an image but be less suited to others.

Most reactions

Back