Sunset

JayPearson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I found this sweet spot under this bridge and i've been trying to perfect this shot. I just wanted to see what i need to do to get it right.

As strange as it seems, i believe the computer i uploaded these photos onto actually automatically edited my photos. When i look at the photo on the computer it seems much darker than on my preview screen on my camera. The bad thing is, i didn't shoot these photos in RAW so if they are actually darker than they seem it will be hard to edit them OR i will just have to go shoot again.

1. 15 sec. w/f22
Picture2023.jpg

2. 15 sec. w/f29
Picture2016.jpg

The first one is really really great, I like it a lot! Some thoughts:

1)I think the foreground could do with being a little sharper (maybe you need a smaller aperture or a steadier tripod).
2)The exposure looks fine to me but esp. for night shots you should always shoot in RAW!
3) I would definitely reshoot without the rubbish on the ground.
4)You need to clone out that lens flare off-centre top and bottom right (if you can't see all of the flare, brighten shadows in PS by 100% and it all becomes clear)
5) There's a lot of dust on your sensor, so I'd get it cleaned and clone it out on this picture.

The first one is really really great, I like it a lot! Some thoughts:

1)I think the foreground could do with being a little sharper (maybe you need a smaller aperture or a steadier tripod).
2)The exposure looks fine to me but esp. for night shots you should always shoot in RAW!
3) I would definitely reshoot without the rubbish on the ground.
4)You need to clone out that lens flare off-centre top and bottom right (if you can't see all of the flare, brighten shadows in PS by 100% and it all becomes clear)
5) There's a lot of dust on your sensor, so I'd get it cleaned and clone it out on this picture.

Yea the tripod i have is a hand-me-down and doesn't seem like its the best.

I noticed the glare AND the dust when i uplaoded the pics. At first i thought it might have been the birds that were flying through the picture. But, as i look a little closer i realized it was definately dust. The bad thing about having dust on my sensor is that i don't believe there are any places around where i live that i can have it cleaned, and i definately don't know how to clean it myself.

But anyway thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I think these are great shots, especially the way the 15 sec shutter made the water look kind of "matte."

I think these are great shots, especially the way the 15 sec shutter made the water look kind of "matte."

Thank you, thank you.

I've been reading up on photography here lately, and i've been trying whats called 'bracketing'. Which pretty much means shooting the same photo with different settings.

When i first started shooting this photo i was using a 2-5 second shutter speed, but i realized it wasn't giving me the photo i was looking for. So i eased my way up until i found, what i thought, was the right shutter speed.

Its still a work in progress though.

i like the 2nd one a lot. the moon gives a nice touch. a suggestion; maybe u can go lower composition wise.

anways, im not a big fan of the first one. i dont like the glare tbh.

i like the 2nd one a lot. the moon gives a nice touch. a suggestion; maybe u can go lower composition wise.

anways, im not a big fan of the first one. i dont like the glare tbh.

What do you mean lower composition, aperture or shutter speed?

Yea, i haven't had a chance to edit these photos yet. When i do i will edit it out. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

tenlientl said composition, not exposure, so he/she means to get down lower, and get closer to the ground in the foreground. Unfortunately it looks like you're gonna lose that moon when you straighten up the picture... I'd try copying it back in though.

Nice shots neigbor! I live over towards bay st louis. It looks like you're shooting from the ocean springs side, towards biloxi.

As far as composition goes, I like them both, but the horizon is crooked in the second one. Good job on the exposures.

Good to see someone else shooting on the coast. Check out my site, i've got lots of local pics. I've been meaning to get out and shoot the new bridges, now you've got me inspired. :)

tenlientl said composition, not exposure, so he/she means to get down lower, and get closer to the ground in the foreground. Unfortunately it looks like you're gonna lose that moon when you straighten up the picture... I'd try copying it back in though.

Oh, i gotcha. Thats why i was asking, i didn't really understand what he was saying. I'll give it a try.

Nice shots neigbor! I live over towards bay st louis. It looks like you're shooting from the ocean springs side, towards biloxi.

As far as composition goes, I like them both, but the horizon is crooked in the second one. Good job on the exposures.

Good to see someone else shooting on the coast. Check out my site, i've got lots of local pics. I've been meaning to get out and shoot the new bridges, now you've got me inspired. :)

Yes, i was shooting directly underneath the Ocean Springs side. It's a little sweet spot i found.

I'm glad you said something about the horizon in the second one, i totally looked over it being crooked.

I haven't been to the new Bay bridge yet, but i've heard it was really similar to the OS Biloxi bridge. Good luck on shooting it, i defiantely enjoy it. Keep in touch.

Most reactions

Back