sunsets from hell...

BubblePixel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't seem to take a decent sunset... what is the matter with me?!! :banghead:
Looks like the sun gets doubled and there's lots of noise...
Can anyone help me out?

I used my 70-300 sigma lens with a CPL and a tripod

Thanks for looking (don't laugh!) :lol:

sunset1.jpg

sunset2.jpg

Appreciate all/any comments that could help me out! ;)

looks like you got lens flare on the second one, (and thusly im assuming the first) dont know how that would happen though...

Looks like flare to me, as well. Try a graduaded ND filter, or two exposures merged in Photoshop. ND Filter is the best bet. Also, avoid using a zoom lens if you can; they have lots more internal surfaces to help cause lots of flare. If you center the sun horizontally, flare artifacts will tend to appear in a vertical line. Same with centering it vertically. If you center it vertically and horizontally, flare artifacts will be centered in the image.

Good luck!

Thanks for your comments!

I'll definatly take your advice! I don't have an ND Filter but next time I'll try without the CPL... and see how that works! ;)

A sunset picture need not always include the sun in the shot. I look for sunsets that have clouds, where the sunlight is perforating the clouds in interesting places. I shoot when the sun is behind a cloud. Use a graduated neutral density filter, to get some more detail from the foreground. Expose for the sky, keeping in mind the filter factor.

Most reactions

Back