Sunsets?

Thanks everyone for your advice! Im hoping there are some sunsets here soon so I can try out some of these ideas, and also mess around with the settings (gulp). You all take some really awesome pictures!

I was going to post a picture of a recent sunset, but all of my pictures are on my computer at home, and I wont have access to them for another month or so, this one isnt that great, most of my pictures benefit from some color adjustments (dont they all!) but this one kind of gets the point across.

And yes, I know the horizon is off, my bad.

sunset.png

As mentioned, metering and proper exposure is your first challange when shooting a sunset.... I'll skip that part as its already been discussed.

The second challange with sunsets is your color balance. Coloring is a challange because most of the ambient light you are getting has been filtered out of the atmosphere and all you are getting are oranges and reds. You don't notice it by looking at it because you brain is smart enough to compensate for the color changes, but your camera isn't that smart. When you take sunset photographs, you'll often get really warm exposures. This isn't always a bad thing, sometimes you want to go for that wamth, but often when there are other subjects in your photo, you'll lose their color because of the lighting.

Most reactions

Back