Super beginner DSLR choice

TheLightItBurns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all! This is my first post, and I want to say thank you in advance, and I'm sure that you all get this question a lot, but I don't know anybody with any knowledge in photography. I have 500 dollars, and I want to purchase my first DSLR, and I have my choices split down three ways. A Sony Alpha 230 with both a 18-55 and 55-200 lens.

Amazon.com: Sony Alpha A230Y 10.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with Super SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization and 18-55mm and 55-200mm Lenses: Electronics

A Nikon D3000, with a bunch of other accessories, but just one 18-55 lens.

Amazon.com: Nikon D3000 10MP Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX VR Nikkor Zoom Lens with 8GB Card + EN-EL9a Battery + Nikon Gadget Bag + Nikon School DVDs + Accessory Kit: Electronics

Lastly, a Canon XS with accessories, but just the same 18-55 lens as well.

Amazon.com: Canon Digital Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera (Black) + Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS Lens + Spare LP-E5 Battery + 4GB Card + Gadget Bag: Electronics

Now, I have not taken any photos since High School, about 4 years ago, but I loved every bit of yearbook photography, and I now have a little extra money saved up from random jobs between college classes. I really cannot spend anymore than 500 however. I have read in past forums that Canon and Nikon are really the brands to go with, but I have also read that picture quality rests on lens' as well. I was just curious if it would be better to go with the Sony since it has a second lens for only 100 and that auto in camera stabilization (which I am sure is nice for beginners), the original price of a 230 is just 400. With the Sony, I could spend a little more on a bag, and I already have SD cards. That extra lens just seems like a nice security to have, since all other Nikon and Canon lens I have seen are pretty pricey for me.

Does anybody have anything good to say about the Sony?

I know I have asked a lot, but I am really excited about starting photography, and I don't want to make such a big investment (for my financial status at least) and then get burned later. Thanks a ton everybody!

TL;DR- D3000, A230, Rebel XS, which is more awesome for beginner student.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
well firstly camera choice depends on your personal need and with the choices you have shown you can't go wrong with any of them.

Go out and actually try them will be the best way to find the one that suits you.

The Sony seems to get good reviews in Digital Photo magazine.

Sorry, I am not familiar with these cameras. It'd be pretty hard to go wrong with any of them, I would think.

The lens makes a huge difference, a monstrously huge difference, in some ways more so than the camera, in my humble opinion.

Those were the EXACT same cameras I was debating between myself about a month ago...lol

I ended up buying the sony a230. I did several days of researching before making a decision and that was still pretty damn tough. Im extremely happy with my sony, a lot of people will steer you towards a nikon or cannon, I dont disagree they are the top manufacturers, but I really love my sony, I didnt know much about photography and adjustments, this camera along with several more days of research on this forum has helped TREMENDOUSLY. The camera is very newbie friendly and takes great shots! If you would like to see some of the shots I took with mine go here : Flickr: Hamblin J's Photostream mind you I have been shooting for about a month, with little previous experience.

Good luck im sure you'll be happy with any choice you make.

P.S. If I didnt buy the sony I would have went with the cannon! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice so far everybody, you have all been a great help. I am going to go with the Sony A230 with the two lenses. I was able to hold it in a store, and it fit my hands right. Plus, Jhamb, I loved the pictures you put on your Flickr account, I saw nothing wrong with any noise or fuzz, it put my heart at ease as I was pressing the "Buy now" button on Amazon.

Thanks again everybody!

Thanks for all the advice so far everybody, you have all been a great help. I am going to go with the Sony A230 with the two lenses. I was able to hold it in a store, and it fit my hands right. Plus, Jhamb, I loved the pictures you put on your Flickr account, I saw nothing wrong with any noise or fuzz, it put my heart at ease as I was pressing the "Buy now" button on Amazon.

Thanks again everybody!

WOOT WOOT. Another Sony-ian in the house!!:smileys:

Glad I could help! :)

Just for added reassurance, I was in the same boat about 2 months ago, and I ran across a smoking deal on the Sony A230 with just the 18-55 lens. So far, I'm loving it and I could only find two things I don't like about it. One is the "sawed off grip", but when you're two handing it, you hold it mostly with the lens holding hand, not the shutter release hand, so it's not that big of a deal. Two is shooting anything ISO 1600 and above, you'll be able to notice the noise, but 800 will usually get you great shots in lower lighting. Also, the compatibility with Minolta Maxxum lenses is great! I picked up a Minolta 50mm 1.7 on the bay last month, and it's my new go to lens for anything other than wide angle. There's so many great old lenses out there that are great deals!

Jessica Alba uses a Sony d-slr....

Sony being willing to take a margin hit and sell a body and a wide and telephoto kit zoom combo priced well below the Big Two price margin point is a case of a huge electronic giant willing,and able, to "buy" market share through absolutely cutthroat pricing. A body, 18-55 and 55-200 lens, all for $549? Sony is making it very hard for non-invested people to resist their brand. In-body stabilization, a low-cost path to good and extremely low-priced full-frame options, the potential for high-end Zeiss lenses at the top of the range...Sony Style magazine...this is the way a consumer electronic giant markets its upper-end [non-P&S] cameras and lenses.

Sony is picking up quite a few new customers. And to think, just a few years ago, Canon Japan issued a mission statement that was widely reported; Canon was going to try and drive ALL of the non-traditional camera makers out of the market! Oops...I guess they were just shooting off their corporate mouth and talking smack, because Sony has actually gained a large share in a d-slr market that virtually nobody thought they could even make a dent in.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back