super-exposure

ah but note he is talking about a black paper that fades with the long exposure to light. I mused in my first reply i wonder what cloth that fades would do over a year with an imaged focused on it.

Yes it is an alternate kind of photography, but I don't think a hundred year camera has proved itself yet.

The only thing that will really register is the constants... Who knows what is constant. It isn't going to be like a time lapse movie. What will it look like after thousands of different scenes are laid one on top of the other. I didn't see any examples. I would dearly love to see something.

I think I would just shoot something totally black and call it time.

Ps... iso has no meaning at all in this kind of thing.

Unfortunately what you are proposing is impractical for several reasons.
There is this little thing called 'reciprocity failure' and another called 'latent image regression'.
And even if you can get a latent image to form the results will be pretty unusable.
Try doing the maths:
For 100ISO the average daylight exposure is 1/60th @ f8
Smallest aperture I've seen = 1/2 @ f128
Now drop the ISO
50ISO = 1 sec @ f128
There are 31.5 million seconds in a year... that's going to be an interesting ISO number.
Even ND filters won't help much - try bolting half-a-dozen to the front of the lens.
And then there is the problem of stability. What sort of tripod do you intend to use? To stop all camera movement you will need a girder sunk into concrete.
And all this is just for B&W. For colour it's worse because you will get crossed curves through reciprocity effect.

Final word - one of the first photographic images recorded was by Niepce in 1826. He didn't use silver but white bitumen - something not noted for it's photosensitivity.
The exposure only took 8 hours.

I knew you would come through hertz... So much more to the point... I sincerely mean that in a good way...

You left out someone will steal the camera most likely... a bird will crap on the lens... and all kinds of acts of god from being pi**ed about that petri jar thing.

Hertz van Rental said:
Or he'll return after a year to find he's forgotten to take the lens cap off...

The law of reciprocity may fail with long exposures; but Murphey's Law never fails....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back