Supermarket photography

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by hanan, Sep 12, 2009.

1. hanan

hanan TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took a few pics in my local supermarket today until staff asked me not too. :)
    Deep down I knew they would have an issue with it...I was taking pics for an article on homebrand products which I did not mention to them.

They said it was an issue because I was taking pics of some brand names. Though it's not like I intend to run an ad campaign or anything.

Does anyone know what the laws are regarding this?

I was told I would need to get permission. So I asked for permission and was told that I couldn't have it. :D

Thanks.

2. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    when your on private property you need to abide by the property owners "laws"

this is a very common "law",

I understand that this was for a special project, however, many people have more success with taking photos of street vendor vegetable stands, etc.

3. hanan

hanan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for your reply Ann. :)

4. thenikonguy

thenikonguy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if you explain to them what you are doing, they may very well tell you to go ahead.. i know that sometimes the rule is "its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission" but, not always

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yah I agree approach the store manager and try asking for permission first - outline your whole plan and intentions for what you are going to do on their property as well as what the use of the images will be. You never know you might get lucky - it might also help your case if you can (and say) that you will shoot at offpeek times rather than peek times (When the supermarket will be very full of customers).

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  7. hanan

hanan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for your ideas. I guess I had already got what I thought was just enough for it's purpose so I got told to stop at the right time.

Overread you made a good suggestion to ask first next time...the only thing I don't like about that idea is what do I do when they say 'no'? Call me cynical... :meh:

Keith, that was helpful...

"What can I do with photographs that show trademarks, logos, or buildings or props that are themselves registered trademarks? Generally, such photographs should be safe for editorial uses. You should make sure, however, that you specifically point out in your paperwork that you do not have any releases or permissions and, if possible, have the client indemnify you against any claims arising out of their use of the photograph. Remember that violations of third-parties rights come primarily from the use of the photograph, not the photograph itself, and you have no control over that use once you have agreed to license it."

Interesting.

8. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    FYI: Taking a photo of a brandname or product does NOT violate trademark law, anywhere.

skieur

9. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Taking pics of brandnames... :lol: That's hysterical. People come up with the oddest stuff when thinking up ways to make you stop taking pictures. That's one I haven't heard before.

10. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    However, with the supermarket being private property, the owner has the right to prevent you or I from taking pictures for whatever reason he chooses. He could allege that taking pictures attracts martians. It's not relevant that you and I disagree with his belief.

11. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ahhhh, Plato. Always looking for a fight.

Did I say otherwise? Did I in any way imply that the owners or employees were in any way out of line or acting improperly or illegally in their request that OP stop taking pictures?

No. No, I absolutely did not. In fact, I did not do so because it was already said previously and I felt no need to re-hash the issue.

I merely laughed at the situation and moved on.

You, however, have apparently taken this as another excellent opportunity to grace me with one of your lectures.

Interestingly enough, however, I don't personally think I require another of your lectures at this particular time. In fact, I can't say that I'm terribly convinced of your personal qualifications to lecture me. So, if you don't mind, I think I'll just ignore your pointless re-hashing of this topic as your personal platform to instruct me further on how I am somehow not up to your personal discussion quality specifications.

I want to thank you, however, for your continued dogged attention to these types of pointless details, as without them I really am quite sure that the public audience of TPF would find themselves deeply lacking in materials that they can use to put themselves to sleep.

Thank you.

Thank you so much.

12. ShSimpson

ShSimpson TPF Noob!

I think you have been given some excellent suggestions. What bothers me about this situation is that we continually fight for our rights and then get all hot and bothered when someone steps on us (either rightly or not). When people in the photography community do these sort of things knowingly it hurts us all. No wonder that we are getting a bad name when we do this.

Some may view this as just one person and one store, I think it can have larger issues in getting cooperation from places that we want to shoot, for whatever reason it may be.

Flame suit donned.