Superwide Holga Pinhole...120 film

Discussion in 'Alternative Techniques & Photo Gallery' started by Dick Sanders, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Dick Sanders

Dick Sanders TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To me it looks rubbish and plasticky (no experience with it though). Those look great but are obviously more expensive. I would still be curious to know what format the Holga shoots and what the focal length is.

3. Steph

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I found the answers to my own questions here (Google was my friend;)). It shoots 6x9 or 6x12 negs and the focal length is 40 mm, which is quite a wide angle. Pity that I cannot print 6x9 and 6x12 negs in the darkroom; it would fun to have a play with one of those are they are fairly cheap. Oh well, I'll stick to square pictures from my Zero2000.

4. Dick Sanders

Dick Sanders TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can print 6x9 in my darkroom. But I'd rather shoot 6x12 and scan, which I can do with my Epson V750 pro.

Yes, the Holga is plastiky and rubbish -- that's the whole idea of it. I love my Holga 120N with plastic lens. It's a great little camera.

There's also a guy who modifies and improves Holgas. Check this web site: holga

5. Dick Sanders

Dick Sanders TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Steph: The Zero Pinhole cameras look really great, too. Very pretty. I've already shot them an email to see if they'll make me a custom 95mm 8x10 pinhole camera (3.75 inch).

You'll have to post some pics made with your Zero.

6. Steph

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let me know about their answer for the 8x10. It could be interesting but I am afraid the price might a bit too high. If only I had some wood working skills... Alternatives could be Santa Barbara and Leonardo cameras but they are not as pretty.

I have already posted some pictures taken with the Zero2000 in the past (here, here and here). There a number of pictures on Flickr from many photographers. I think there is even a Flickr group dedicated to the Zero cameras.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  7. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Let me know how things go with this camera if anyone gets one. I've been curious about them for a while. There is also a stereo pinhole which could theoretically allow you to bracket exposures side by side without moving the camera here. I believe this one takes 2 6x6 images. I'm not interested in the stereo aspect, but it would be cool to let one exposure go a little longer than the other.

8. Dick Sanders

Dick Sanders TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey -- here's the response I got back from the Zero pinhole people. They will do a custom 8x10 for me in 3 3/4 inch. And I don't mind the wait...

Dear Dick,
    Thanks for interesting in our camera. Cost for custom make camera starting from US$650 and the waiting time is rather long now, around 9 month.
    Please feel free to contact us again if you need a further assistance.

9. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's just like waiting for a baby, only without the crazy hormonal woman and all the diapers afterward. What kind of angle of view would that 8x10 have? I'm not at all experienced in pinhole photography so I apolagize if this information was easily ascertainable from the 3 3/4in specification.

10. Steph

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The diagonal angle of view will be about 119 degrees (that is roughly equivalent to a 13mm lens on a 35mm (or full frame digital) camera). Quite wide!!!

11. Dick Sanders

Dick Sanders TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Steph: Thanks for the calculation.

Mike: I have a 3 inch 8x10 pinhole camera, and I have a 4 3/4 inch 8x10 pinhole camera. The former is extremely wide, and the latter is pretty wide. Sometimes, I find myself wishing for something "in between." So, that's why I inquired about a 3 3/4 inch camera. But for comparison look at these two photos. The first is 3 inch, and the second is 4 3/4 inch (different photos, but it'll give you an idea). By the way, both of these structures were designed by the mid-century modern architect Albert Frey. The first is the North Shore Yacht Club at Salton Sea, CA. And the second is the Flying Wedge (originally a gas station) in Palm Springs, CA.

[​IMG]

In this one I'm about 15 feet from the building, using the 3 inch focal length 8x10 pinhole.

[​IMG]

In this one, I'm using the 4 3/4 inch 8x10 and I'm about 18 inches from the first Japanese fish-net float, which is about 10 inches in diameter.