surf photography question

pbcsurfer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got an Ae-1 and was wondering what type of film I should use and what my settings on my camera should be for taking pictures of surfing. I have never taken pictures with 35 mm before, all info. would be greatly apreciated, thanks.

What types of shots are you looking to take?

You'll probably want to use a medium speed film, or fast speed, (ISO 400 or faster), if you are trying to freeze the action of the surfer, and you'll need pretty quick shutter speeds, (1/250 and faster), and a fast lens. (f/2.8) You'll also need a pretty long telephoto, unless you plan on being out in the water. A 200mm lens would probably be the minimum you'd want, and even then, I'm sure that would be lacking. It's not going to be cheap. A 70-200 f/2.8 is over $1000.

or you could get underwater housing, ad go i the water and catch him up close?

Sounds like a bad idea though.....

NoChance said:
or you could get underwater housing, ad go i the water and catch him up close?

Sounds like a bad idea though.....

Oh no sir you are mistaken. there is no need for underwater housing,that's for digital cameras. all film cameras are water ready down to a depth of 15 feet. remember young one, light tight also means water tight.though im new to this forum, i am not new to photography, so feel free to ask me advice anytime.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back