Surf Photos C&C

DirtyDFeckers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a couple of shots I took....Feel free to make comments please.

BenSurfing2.jpg

BenSurfing1.jpg

The first one is just awesome. The second could use some lighting it up a bit and maybe a little bit of playing on photoshop.

The white balance as well as the exposure are quite a bit different on these. Considering that they seem to be shot in a series, this is not ideal for starters.

2nd one is pretty underexposed.

Could you please give us your camera/lens/settings, it would help a lot.

Edit - I pulled the exif data and I think that I know what your problem is.

It looks like you shot these in manual mode. If you are going to do that, great care needs to be taken not to under/overexpose them. This is because the control over exposure is up to you (shutter speed/aperture), and they need to be adjusted manually.

In av, tv, and p modes the camera will "adjust" settings to provide the correct exposure. Usually I just shoot in one of these because its faster and easier.

Manual mode is useful though for when you are trying to do something very specific. Or when the camera is getting fooled on its light metering.

Shooting these types of shots I would probably use tv mode and dial in the ideal shutter speed, something over say 1/500th sec. It looked like you had good lighting that day. If it was slightly cloudy I would also run auto Iso to ensure that I was able to get the proper exposure.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The white balance as well as the exposure are quite a bit different on these. Considering that they seem to be shot in a series, this is not ideal for starters.

2nd one is pretty underexposed.

Could you please give us your camera/lens/settings, it would help a lot.

Edit - I pulled the exif data and I think that I know what your problem is.

It looks like you shot these in manual mode. If you are going to do that, great care needs to be taken not to under/overexpose them. This is because the control over exposure is up to you (shutter speed/aperture), and they need to be adjusted manually.

In av, tv, and p modes the camera will "adjust" settings to provide the correct exposure. Usually I just shoot in one of these because its faster and easier.

Manual mode is useful though for when you are trying to do something very specific. Or when the camera is getting fooled on its light metering.

Shooting these types of shots I would probably use tv mode and dial in the ideal shutter speed, something over say 1/500th sec. It looked like you had good lighting that day. If it was slightly cloudy I would also run auto Iso to ensure that I was able to get the proper exposure.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments. With these 2 photos, I was actually playing around with photoshop a bit.... With no editing, they look the exact same as far as white balance and color saturation.... But it is always good to get an outside opinion. Thanks.

Also, these were shot with a Nikon D5000 w/ a f/4-5.6 55-200mm lens. The first photo was taken at 1/500s, f 6.3, with an ISO of 200. The second was taken at the same settings. Thanks again for the comments.

Need to straighten the horizon. Also, I know it wont be accurate but you can always make the water bluer :)

Most reactions

Back