Surfer killed by shark

Unless you are Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean-Claude Van Damme or Chuck Norris! Who is the hunter and the prey now? :lmao:

Search: Surfer killed by shark - Surfer killed by shark

Humans, physically compared to many animals, are no more than prey.

We are slow, and not very powerful. We can't see at night, hear very well, or have a very acute sense of smell.

Our biggest asset is our brains.

We are slow, and not very powerful. We can't see at night, hear very well, or have a very acute sense of smell.

That's the silliest thing I've read all morning.

Humans are not slow, they can travel at many many times the speed of sound.

They're very powerful, they can eliminate all life in just about any size area almost instantaneously.

They can see at night, and can even see through clouds and solid objects.

They can hear as good as any animal, and better than most.

We're working on the smell thing, but with the other assets we've got, we really don't need it. :mrgreen:

So you can be a victim all you want. Me? I think I'll keep my position on top of the food chain. :twak:

Last edited:

Agreed. Especially in light of this other recent story of a surfer's encounter with sharks: Californian surfer Chuck Patterson films Great White sharks circling his board - Telegraph

Other than that, I believe Rekd addressed most points of your post in a very good manner. He did not, however address the last one: Our biggest asset is our brains.

If that is true we are in deep doodoo. Actually, we are. Because so many people believe that to be a truth. Unfortunately those people have very little knowledge of history and most of that knowledge comes from the school system which is totally twisted. Real study of history will show quite the opposite of what you posit.

May I suggest a good read to you: "Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil" by Inga Muscio. it would be a good start towards understanding the world you live in.

I can't add much more to this without making your thread political and having it locked. Which I do not want.

Humans are not slow, they can travel at many many times the speed of sound.

They're very powerful, they can eliminate all life in just about any size area almost instantaneously.

They can see at night, and can even see through clouds and solid objects.

They can hear as good as any animal, and better than most.

We're working on the smell thing, but with the other assets we've got, we really don't need it. :mrgreen:

So you can be a victim all you want. Me? I think I'll keep my position on top of the food chain. :twak:
Not by ourselves, on the same basis as the animals.

Without our technology, we are just lunch.

We can think our way around some of those problems, which is where our brain and our ability to porcess information becomes an asset.

Not by ourselves, on the same basis as the animals.

Without our technology, we are just lunch.

We can think our way around some of those problems, which is where our brain and our ability to porcess information becomes an asset.

I understand your point. I was simply making an observation that while we're small, slow and lack sufficient senses to survive as such, our very power of reason means we are not as weak as you would have us believe.

The bottom line is that so far humans have been able to overcome just about everything that has threatened our existence. Not to mention overcoming those that would have us for lunch.

The bottom line is that so far humans have been able to overcome just about everything that has threatened our existence. Not to mention overcoming those that would have us for lunch.

Well short term we've overcome everything, but long term.... yah we're not to good with that whole long term aspect. In fact unlike almost every other creature on the earth we totally fail at long term.

Well short term we've overcome everything, but long term.... yah we're not to good with that whole long term aspect. In fact unlike almost every other creature on the earth we totally fail at long term.

Huh? Did we go extinct and I missed it? :greenpbl:

Well the one of the first major extinction events was after 65million years of dinosaurs - after that we had less major, but still notable events as the ice age cycle turns over and over -but the next major extinction is only a few thousand years after we started to learn to use our thumbs (say 5000years give or take)

so yah - long term - really not our strongpoint ;)

edit wait isn't it 10 or 15 thousand years? Gah I can't remember but it some pitifully small number and its really only in the last few 5 that we've really got going with the whole extinction process ;)

Well the one of the first major extinction events was after 65million years of dinosaurs - after that we had less major, but still notable events as the ice age cycle turns over and over -but the next major extinction is only a few thousand years after we started to learn to use our thumbs (say 5000years give or take)

edit wait isn't it 10 or 15 thousand years? Gah I can't remember but it some pitifully small number and its really only in the last few 5 that we've really got going with the whole extinction process ;)

OIC. :lol: I read it like we had gone extinct. Sorry, I sit corrected.

I don't surf anymore, probably at least 20 years ago. But shark attacks on humans are rare. Humans just aren't normally what sharks consider "food".
Surfing in So. Cal, usually requires at least a short wet suit, due to the cold water. Farther north, a long one usually works.

Problem is, when your arms and legs are dangling over the side of the board, and from an under water, you really look like a seal. Considered a very "tasty" treat for a shark. Most hit's on surfer's is a case of mistaken identity, shark think's "yummmmmy, fresh seal....me hungry", surfer get's whacked. Rarely is a surfer actually eaten by the sharks, after said shark discover's surfer isn't really all that tasty, and generally not on the local fare. Deaths occur from the amount of damage incurred by the shark.

Having said that, I've seen a few sharks, especially surfing off the coast of Mexico, and it will definetly cause certain human orifices to "pucker".

Bull sharks are a little more scary. They are very curious, will, "explore" with their teeth, and I belive are the cause of most death's by shark attack.

One really scary fact about bull sharks, is that their liver is unique, in that they can easily adapt to fresh water. Sharks have been found in brackish, and fresh water, and have actually been caught in waters as far north as Illinois. Nobody seems to be in agreement as to why this is happening, but it's very common in African rivers to find bull's 3 or 400 miles north in freshwater rivers.

Hope my local trout stream isn't deep enough for a migration....

Just some shark 'lore from a since "retired" over-the-hill surfer..

J.:confused:

Last edited:

The Cretaceous–Tertiary extinction event, Cretaceous?Tertiary extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia was preceeded by some bigger ones. There have been 5 major, and many smaller, extinction events in Earth's history

The biggest happened just 250 million years ago, the Great Dying or Permian–Triassic (P–Tr) extinction event, Permian?Triassic extinction event - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The human race almost checked out about 75,000 years ago. Total human world population then, has been estimated at several million individuals.

Then the Mount Toba supervolcano erupted and a 'volcano winter' event lasting as long as ten years redusec the human population. It has been estimated that the total world-wide human population dwindled to somewhere between 1,000 and 10,000 individuals, most of them being in East Africa, with a small contingent in northwest India. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Toba

The 5 biggest extinctions were likely caused by impacts from space, which is what got the dinosaurs, and 90% of all land species at that time.

We are overdue for a big impact, but you can check the situation daily if you'd like: Potentially Hazardous Asteroids. Just click on 'Closest Approaches' at the top of the page to see what tomorrow will bring near Earth.

I will pit my brain against that of any animal.

Most reactions

Back