Surfing + Tidepool Pics C&C

Turnerea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took some surfing pictures on a sunny (late) afternoon- had to back the default "blacks" back down to zero and add a bit of fill light to show detail in the surfers themselves- think this may have made some of the wave look a little funny though...

The other beach pictures were taken later in the evening. I liked how the two here came out, but was real disappointed that I couldn't get anything decent from the tidepools that were teaming with creatures. Any tips on shooting into shallow water??? (I was using a CPol, but still very cloudy despite relatively clear water)

Please tell me what you think!

20081005-IMG_8728.jpg

20081005-IMG_8729.jpg

20081005-IMG_8730.jpg

20081004-IMG_8426.jpg

20081004-IMG_8462.jpg

The surfing pictures aren't bad, but they look washed out because you took away from the blacks without upping the contrast.

Yeah, I did not realize how blurry the surfing shots were until I saw them on here at that size. I used only the center AF sensor because I was afraid the other sensors would pick up the wave behind and not focus correctly, and also set to the AF mode for moving objects, where it is constantly adjusting inbetween shots. Any other tips for trying to get a shot like that in better focus? I was up on a pier looking out / down at the surf...

ya i was just going to mention that the pictures would be really cool, but the blurriness of it all is really distracting. I thought the last one was cool though, but i'm not sure if you wanted the sharpest part of the pic to be the rock or not.

i would manual focus.. for the simple reason that, you can zoom in, get your subject where you want him.. then quickly change the focus as he moves

You may also want to adjust the aperture. Maybe try using a smaller aperture (higher F number) and see. It will increase the total depth of field.

i.e. F5.6 at 200mm focal length. When the object is 50 feet from your camera, the Depth of field (DoF) is about 4 feet. However, if you change the aperture from F5.6 to F11, the DoF will become 8 feet. So you have more room to work on.

Most reactions

Back