Surprise reactions to posts

otherprof

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering how many others have been perplexed by the reaction or lack of reaction to photos posted here. Sometimes I post an image I'm really pleased with, and it gets no reaction at all, nada, zip, zilch. Not negative response; no response. Sometimes something I wanted to share because I thought it was a little interesting will draw strong reactions - positive and/or negative. I've noticed that some posts by others that draw lots of likes seem quite ordinary to me, and some that get no attention seem to me to deserve some praise. Of course there are differences in taste, but sometimes I'm just baffled. When it comes to the consistent and deserved praise of some posters - a portrait by Tirediron, and bird shot by Zombisniper, e.g. I'm in there praising and "liking" too. It's easy for me to see how great they are. That's why I am so surprised by how surprised I can be by the reaction or lack of reaction to other shots posted. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way. It's a good thing I'm not putting together a portfolio looking for work!

Because what's there to say?

umm ...

seriously, sometimes I look at some photos and don't really have a comment. lol

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I know my tendency to comment on photos waxes and wanes depending on time of day, day of the week, stuff going on in my life at the moment or in the general time frame. I try to comment when I have things to say, but if I don't have a purposeful comment, then I would rather remain silent. If a thread has been up for a while and no one is commenting, I'll try to sit with the image for a little while to find out what my reaction is and make some kind of comment, but I can't do that too many times in one sitting because I burn out on it.

One thing that I know is more likely to make me comment is if there is something more specific the OP may be asking about. Even if it's just a "What is your knee-jerk reaction to this shot?" is more likely to elicit comments rather than just views, I feel.

Of course there's the usual time of day it's posted, forum traffic patterns, yadda yadda.

I've posted a lot of images which got no comments or reaction at all. On the other hand, I don't find the time to comment on a lot of what I see on here. In some cases, I don't feel comfortable with it because the image is in a category I don't know much about, e.g., portraits, event photography, cars, etc. I've seen others saying that they don't have enough experience to offer comments at all, which may not make sense, but some feel that way just the same. Then there are some who never comment on anything and also people who are not on here for a couple of days at a time and don't have a chance to go back and catch up (like me). For any particular image, the group of potential commenters is really pretty small.

This is a topic that comes up once or twice a year, and as many times as it's been discussed there's never been a definite answer. My observation is that the images that get the most comments are those which are either absolutely outstanding and generally of mundane subjects such as people, birds, etc, or those that need a lot of work. Mediocre and good often doesn't get a lot of comment because people don't have a lot to say about it. There is also the case of images such as your recent "Chair/Stair from Fran's House'. I've looked at this a number of times since you've posted it, and I haven't commented. Why? Because from the technical side it's fine; good exposure, composition, etc, but from the artistic, well... I don't know what to say. The image itself doesn't "grab" me so to speak, and I don't have any comments or suggestions on ways to change it.

There are a number of people here who post images which usually non-mainstream. Often it's clear that their images are the result of a lot of work, but get few, if any comments.

Board is slow right now. Hey, it's August and people are out at the beach. I for one dislike this time of year because the weather really hampers good photography. The other aspect is that all those people from Arizona come out here to escape the heat and play in the ocean so I just stay home. In September when the kids go back to school we get out town back as the Zonies leave.
So fun times are just around the corner, temps will drop and I can get my camera back out. Yahoo!!!!!

Yep, TPF slows down noticeably in the summer months and peaks in the winter months.

When I lived in Coronado, photographing the 'Zonies' in the summer helped pay the bridge tolls, the mortgage, and keep food on the table.

Everybody and their mother is a photographer these days. I have neither the time nor the inclination to look at a million shots one at a time. It is estimated that 1.8 billon photos are taken daily. Seriously who had the time or really cares???

I try to like or comment on a lot of your photo's because you are uniquely different in style from most on here. I post things that never get comments and I just chalk it up to they suck but if I like them, that's all that really matters. Usually, it's the ones I am hesitant on posting. I'm sure I miss some but that has more to do with my travel (tapatalk limitations).

Keep in mind, there are a lot of experienced photographers and artists that frequent here. IMO as an example to frequent posters; traveler comments on a lot of street and travel photography, tirediron comments on just about all things but is concise on portraits and great sense of humor, Gary A comments on a wide variety from technical view (lots of B & W) but hangs out in the coffee shop and very witty, limr comments on a lot of film posts and hangs in the coffee shop and extremely creative, bulldurum comment on people he truly wants to help or see's potential in, robbins is just a funny ass apeboy (gryphonslair is his clone clown), zombie family always take the time for a quick comment on nature stuff, and astro comments on wide variety but concise on astrology and flying machines.

So you see the pattern here? Nothing personal, just that people are into what their into. Most of yours are unique, which IMO is a good thing.

... and astro comments on wide variety but concise on astrology and flying machines.
Astrology ... yeah I do Tarot Card readings and Horoscopes !!
let me read the death lines on your palm ...
LMAO

... and astro comments on wide variety but concise on astrology and flying machines.
Astrology ... yeah I do Tarot Card readings and Horoscopes !!
let me read the death lines on your palm ...
LMAO
Oops astronomy
Crash and Burn ... :)
CrashandBurn.jpg

JC is doomed, stay away from him!

I agree with Leo it depends on any given day what's going on. I tend to look at Active Topics where posts can drop way down fairly quickly. I've seen a topic there from earlier that I never saw first time around. I haven't seen the photo of yours John was talking about - now I gotta go find that! lol And sometimes I intend to come back and comment and then don't get back to it or later can't find what I'd been reading earlier.

I guess you can keep bumping yourself.

JC is doomed, stay away from him!

I agree with Leo it depends on any given day what's going on. I tend to look at Active Topics where posts can drop way down fairly quickly. I've seen a topic there from earlier that I never saw first time around. I haven't seen the photo of yours John was talking about - now I gotta go find that! lol And sometimes I intend to come back and comment and then don't get back to it or later can't find what I'd been reading earlier.

I guess you can keep bumping yourself.

Doomed? ....

Most reactions

Back