Surrealism - The Last Breath

K_Pugh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
This is the new one, you may need to reload/refresh the page for the new image to appear as i saved it as the same name and renamed the old one.

the-last-breath-1.jpg

The original draft copy was here: draft

Last edited:
ok im sorry i really like this in all but i am so confused on this.

Yeah a composite of:

1x backdrop
29x matches with smoke
1x mouth

The smoke photos were white smoke on a black background, to get them to blend basically I just had to invert the images (black smoke on white) then set the blend mode to Multiply.

Pretty wild.

I like it. I like the colors, as well as the overall composition.

I like it everything about it technically, but I have no idea of whats going on in the right side of the frame. I need to have another visual cue to want to keep looking.

It is a breath of fresh air (sic) to see something like this on TPF. This is photography at its most creative. This is very Dali'esque and I love it. Colors, composition, and idea are all outstanding.

Thanks for the comments guys. The empty space on the right was a dilemma, I didn't know whether to add something in or make it a square crop - I added some more in today (final version now i promise!).

I think the new addition adds to the image, thought i'd twist things up a bit though :lol:

I don't like it. I think the composition lacks a focal point. It's like "design diarrhea." you just put a bunch of stuff onto a canvas and gave no thought to how the viewer's eye will move through the piece. It needs a starting point; which could be dictated by rescaling a lot of your subjects. Everything is kinda all the same size/scale. The mouth should be HUGE, billowing puffs of pudrid smoke. The smoke itself should blend in with the clouds up top-maybe mush it into them with the smudge tool? dunno. But right now it's "smoke image over clound image" not "smoke turning into clouds/thus havinga a negative effect on our well being." Also, i think the smoke should only come from the mouth, having it emit from 2 places makes my eye bounce between the two objects-so still again, no focal point.

good luck!

I know exactly what you're saying. The vision was to have the smoke blend with the clouds but I decided against it, partly due to my lack of photoshopping skills (this was an exercise in photoshop as well). The smoke is supposed to be going in the mouth, as in sucked in, maybe I needed to add more motion in the smoke to emphasise that.

That's really beautiful. Reminds me of Tarsem Singh, some of the dream sequences from "The Cell", and though I haven't seen the actual film, some stills from "The Fall."

Most reactions

New Topics

Back