Survivor's Guilt

jeeper said:
I guess I'll add my $.02...

First, I would have made the empty bottles something a little harder than bud light (maybe an almost empty bottle of Johnnie Walker or something?).
Thought about that...but I'm not much of a drinker and when I do, I only drink beer. It was what I had around the house. There is another bottle there, but my hand (& M9) were in the way. My girlfriend likes Ameretto. I turned the bottle so the lable didn't show.

Second, *this may be controversial* your finger is not on the trigger (if it is, it's hard to see). I hope you had an empty magazine (& chamber) for this photo.
Well, I'm not much in the habit of putting loaded weapons to my own temple, so yes, the mag and chamber were dry. I can't remember if I put my finger on the trigger. I'm a competative shooter, so my habit is to leave it on the frame unless I'm on target...but I can't remember what I was doing, and it doesn't show in the print.

I'm going to go back and work with this one a bit. The more I look at it, the less I like it. I'm okay with the composition, but the tonal range is begining to bug me a bit. I might reprint with with a #5 filter and go hard with it. that will push the whites whiter wnd the blacks blacker. I've got some Bergger fiber paper that I've been wanting to play with (Ilford curls too much), we'll see how that works. The current print is on Ilford satin RC paper.

woah, because its not often that a photo hits me like that. not cause im squeamish...
it was a complement on the power of the image

How about overlaying the shot as reflections in a close up of your eyes? The finger and the trigger and beer bottle won't matter then.

fightheheathens said:
woah, because its not often that a photo hits me like that. not cause im squeamish...
it was a complement on the power of the image

Gotchya...thanks! :thumbup:

abraxas said:
How about overlaying the shot as reflections in a close up of your eyes? The finger and the trigger and beer bottle won't matter then.

um...haven't got that far in my education.
That one would be beyond my skill set for right now.

Good work, I would recommend getting rid of the bud light, or making more of a play with something stronger as the logo contrasts with the timeless aspect of the rest of the shot (it could have been any decade in the last sixty years otherwise).

If you're planning on reshooting, I'd go with a bottle spilling and staining the sheet - perhaps another level of message? Also, I'd try and get the gun more silhouetted on the sheet so it is more apparant.

Nice idea though, and it's a pleasant change to see someone portraying emotive issues via photography, rather than trying to twist a photo into something which means "more" than the vauge non-idea when it was shot.

Rob

Okay...I'm going back to the drawing board altogether....

Thanks all, for your input.

This one piece is going to become a body of work. I was thinking about it last night while I was trying to fall asleep. I have a few ideas for supporting shots, and a way to reset the main photo....gimme a couple weeks, and I'll put up more....mybe longer...paper is expensive, and I'll burn through a lot of it on this...

That is one of the most powerful images I have ever seen. Especially after reading about your experience.
It moved me to tears. I have nothing but respect for you and all the other soldiers still serving out there. I just hope something happens soon to enable them to return home safely to their loved ones.
I know you must feel terrible to be the sole survivor but I imagine your loved ones must feel so relieved to have you back and you need to keep telling yourself that.

Wow. This is an image I didn't really want to see.

I think people need to see images like this. To bring home the harsh reality of war and what is really going on. The government don't highlight this sort of experience do they? No, these stories are swept under the carpet!

mind you this was not intended to elicit feeling on the political aspects of any particular war, although I'm sure some will draw that conclusion, but this was an attempt to get folks to think about the ones who came home as well as the ones who continue to fight.

The fighting continues within us long after we take off the uniform.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back