sutofocus screens

gundy74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im not sure if thats even the right term for what im trying to describe, but im curious if its possible to replace the pane with the autofocus zones on it. im talking about the already built in AF selection zones that are superimposed on the shot when you look through the veiwfinder.

I have a Nikon D50 and I would like to see something more D200 ish with horizontal and vertical lines so i can better orient the camera.

No you can not. These autofocus zones are fixed by the AF unit. The AF unit sits at the bottom of the camera and fires up at the mirror. Changing the spots would not change the area the AF works from.

Also changing the screen will not change the visual location of the AF dots either. On the 350D I think they do, but Nikon super impose the image of the dots onto a black focus screen via a transparent LCD in the viewfinder.

This ofcourse has the benefit that you can put a katzeye screen in your camera and not have to worry about having the correct focus points etched into the screen :)

Thanks for the help guys. I know I cant change the actual autofocus zone. I meant katzeye type focusing screens.

i got a katzeye with a rule of thirds grid on it.

in a one word review: fantastic

i got it for the grid lines but its great for manual focusing. im not sure how the outer circle and inner split circle do what they do but they work like magic.

Most reactions

Back