Swiss toil

ahh screw you. I dont like photoshop. It's just not cool. I mean anyone can make a photo with photoshop. Basically, using photoshop diminishes the over all inportance of taking the picture with the camera. I mean you can take a crappy picture and make it better. Lets say you take a picture and you inhance and make it look all cool with photoshop, this doesn't really make you a better photography, does it? It just makes you think that. So ya, screw you.

ahh screw you. I dont like photoshop. It's just not cool. I mean anyone can make a photo with photoshop. Basically, using photoshop diminishes the over all inportance of taking the picture with the camera. I mean you can take a crappy picture and make it better. Lets say you take a picture and you inhance and make it look all cool with photoshop, this doesn't really make you a better photography, does it? It just makes you think that. So ya, screw you.

:?
everyone else made a really good argument supporting their views,
and the best you can come up with is "screw you".

shut up, child.
if you can't be constructive, then there's no point in saying anything.
criticism is different from bashing. i'm really disgusted with your posts in this thread, grooski

grooski, your insulting manner is highly offensive. you add nothing to this community with posts like that.

terri said:
Yeah, by all means, now that you’ve all had your collective pro-photoshop rants and eviscerated another member’s opinion, let’s get the thread back on topic! :roll:

This whole thread turned a bit offensive to me. What I find the most distressing here is that a moderator was the first to snag a member’s signature line, repost it and retort: “Bullshit”. He goes on to say the member’s signature is only an opinion. Well, no s***, Sherlock. Are we not allowed to state our opinions here now, if a moderator disagrees with them? Then the whole thread takes another tedious turn into the defense of the use of PS (yawn).

I am not much into using photoshop, but I certainly don’t bash those who do. Perhaps you’d all be more comfortable if the member had modified his signature to read: “I am of the humble opinion that real photographers are happier getting their images exactly the way they want them in camera and don’t spend too much time in front of their PC’s. I am So and So and I approve of this message.” In effect, that’s all this guy is really offering up. It’s just a difference in approach and how you want to spend your time manipulating your image to get it to say what you’re trying to say. Some folks will tote along numerous filters (to avoid playing with saturation and hue later in PS), interchangeable lenses (to get the image they want through the lens, and avoid a post-edit crop later), etc. It takes a lot more field time to do all that, and not everybody wants to do that. It doesn’t matter if you’re using digital or film when capturing the image. But I am getting heartily tired of the bashing of photographers who choose to limit their use of PS, even to see them ridiculed, as they are here, as “finger painting purists” simply because they elect not to reach for a great editing tool on their computers.

I personally don’t like spending a lot of time doing what is now called “post-production” work with my images in PS, but that doesn’t mean I don’t love the program for other things. You’ve seen my work, Voods. I would respectfully request you not refer to me, or others like me, as a "finger-painting purist" because I got the results I did without using photoshop. It was my approach of choice at the time of the shoot. A little mutual respect would be appreciated. Thanks bro!

I'm rather surprised you took offense to this. If the mona lisa was finger painted it would be just as revered as it is right now. Perhaps even more so being painted in "non-traditional" means.

I did not see anything in voodoocat's message to indicate that they thought less of someone who only does their modifying in camera. In fact in their reply to you, they think highly of those who do so. I'm not sure where you came up with this "bashing" of those who choose not to post-produce. The general argument is those who do shouldn't be looked down upon, but to imply that those who don't should be looked down upon is rather imposing on your part.

My humble suggestion is to relax and not take things so personally. You're defending yourself against an attack that doesn't exsist.

If there's one thing I've noticed on this website, is that there is a lot of respect for everyone. Try to remember that before taking offense so easily.

- MHO

Hi Jadin, I appreciate your input. To repeat, what really was the topper for me (and I couldn't care less about the PS argument, there will always be photogs who use it more heavily than others, big whoop! I tried to make that clear in my comments) was the fact that a moderator pounced on a member's signature line. Despite his rants to the contrary, it IS just a signature line (read: opinion) - yet, one he happened to disagree with here. But rather than leave it alone, he chose to use it in a post to put this admittedly less than polite member in his place. (Or should I say, former member? :eek: )

We all have a variety of personal approaches and opinions in photography and I expect the administrative folks here to show absolute tolerance of them. Chad's a great guy, but with all due respect, I am of the opinion he jumped the gun here, and compounded it with his overzealous "finger painting" analogy. And his subsequent ridicule of me in response to my taking issue with his less than respectful attitude in this thread did little to dissuade me of that opinion - it only shocked and hurt me.

I believe the admins and mods should refrain from the types of comments that he made here.

Ok im gonna pullrank here and politely tell everyone to calmdown.

ive been here for a longer time than most of us, and ive seen this argument at least 4 times. step back and ask yourself something, what are you really arguing about? you guys are worse than my mom and dad, and all they taught me in life was how to argue. i love everyone of you guys, but damn people its photoshop not brain surgery.

md

Most reactions

Back