Switching Brands, need advice with glass please.

IgsEMT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pictureperfectny.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So after tremendous amount of reading I decided to jump on the bandwagon of mirror less sony. The two cameras that Im mostly looking into are a7ii and a6000. I know one is full frame and I her one is cropped. My Q is about lenses. Coming from Nikon and well versed on Nikon's glass but what are some other glass out there besides 24-70 4, 55 1.8, 35 2.8, 28 2.0 (these are options that were given to me in the store)
I'm all open to adapters but really want autofocus.
Thanks
Joe

I think that most Canon glass will focus through a metabones adapter.

I carry the Sony A7 II with the 24-70 and just love it.
It is barely larger than my OMD.
For street shooting I also carry an OMD with a 35-100 Panasonic (equivalent to a 70-200 FF)
Right now I can't see any reason to add any glass except the 55 (I'm just about ready to order it.)

What genre(s) do you prefer to shoot? If, you are, like most of us here, have to budget your photography expenses, I would start with lens(es) which would reflect a greater usage first, then add lenses later which will have a lesser usage. I don't have a Sony, but I hear that the Zeiss lenses made for the Sony cameras are very good.

Last edited:
Traveler, thank you !!! Also, what is OMD?

Gary,
Currently, my go to walk-around is 28 2.8 on Df (totally love this camera), my main studio lens is 50 1.4, my main event glass is 24-70 2.8 and sigma 15mm fisheye. For outdoor portraiture I might use 135 2.0.

Thanks
Joe

I think Derrel has summed up your native lens availabilities. OMD's are top of the line, Olympus Micro Four-Thirds (MFT) cameras. MFT delivers very good IQ, but does have a crop factor of 2x. All mirrorless bodies, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, Samsung, et al, are pretty small. But the sensor size dicates lens size. The FF Sony requires the largest lenses, the APS-C Sony and Fuji have smaller lenses and the Panasonic/Olympus MFT cameras have the smallest lens footprint. One of the main complains about Sony FF mirrorless, is the lack of system/lenses complimenting the cameras. Fuji is also a newish system but has been making real strides to flesh out their system. MFT is a more mature system with a ton of lenses.

But, few photogs need 30 lenses. So see if the system you choose have the lens you need today and for future growth. If the system has the focal lengths and apertures you desire then you'll be fine.

Maybe I didn't read the original post carefully enough, but then again, there really are not a "lot" of other native lenses that will provide AF for a Sony mount camera. Brian Smith's page highlights some of the best adapter options. PHOTOGRAPHY GEAR GUIDE Sony Lens Adapters

I got the impression you had made up your mind on a Sony A7II, which does look like a compelling offering, but I see the A6000 also listed in the OP.

As you can see, the FE mount, for the A7 series cameras, has some fabulous adapters for MANY, many classic lens mounts, including some somewhat uncommon ones, like Contax/Nikon rangefinder lens mount, or Exakta, and Arriflex! As Hogan's page pointed out, last fall, Sony had said they were planning on having 20 FE mount lenses in 2016; currently the number is 10 lenses.

I'd like to start of 'slow' that is why I'm looking at a6000. However in long term going to end up on full frame line anyways.
Derrel, thanks for the link going to look into it.

Most reactions

Back