Switching Over To Full Frame D700 vs D800.

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone I'm Switching over to full frame currently i have a D7000. I want to focus on wedding photography, engagement photography, some event photography. i'm very undecided at this moment what camera to go for i hear Alot of great things about the D700 for weddings etc but some of my friends (that are photographers) are telling me to go with the D800 and i will not regret it i would like to hear what everyone on here has to say about these to cameras please let me know thank you.

There are photographers here who have gone from the d700 to d800 so hopefully they'll chime in.

Also, the d700 is getting kinda old now though still a great camera. I flip-flopped between the d700 and d600 and bought the d600 as it was just newer in everything all around. not as a durable body, etc but a nicer option I believe in the end.

If you have the money get a d800.

Slightly off what you asked but the d750 looks a better wedding choice than either

the d800 focuses unbelievable fast they say way faster then the d700 and also the the d700 they say shoots faster then holding down the shutter button down with a battery grip 8fps i believe the d700 can do.

thank you jaomul i dont like the flip screen on the d750 that choice is a no go for me. i apologize i think a camera shouldn't have flip screens.

thank you jaomul i dont like the flip screen on the d750 that choice is a no go for me. i apologize i think a camera shouldn't have flip screens.

Then don't flip it...

and why exactly shouldn't they?

There are some people here that would argue that digital cameras shouldn't even have screens at all...

I like the d750 better if given the choice. It's cheaper than the d800 too, faster fps, etc.
Just don't flip the flip screen. It's not a flip screen like on the d5x00 series either.
But if you disregard it then it's the d700 v d800, I'd go with the d800 if money was no issue.

correct, the screen really only tilts. And that would never be a reason not to get a camera.

I'd be happy with both the D750 or D800 over the D700. You'll like the D800 better if you use the AE-ON button or any of the Sync ports.

the d800 image size files are huge lol im going to need so many hard drives lol but i guess thats what happens when we get a 36.6 mp camera lol the sensor on it is very large for what i hear.

As of today the D750 should be the best "wedding" camera for the money.

1.Has the better size files (36MP is a bit of an over kill)
2.Considerably better AF system then the D800
3.Is lighter and slightly smaller which is good for a wedding when photographer standing a long time with camera in hand
4.Better processor
5.Focuses in lower light -3EV
6.Better in low light (cleaner image in low ISO)
7.Better video camera (if that's important for you)
8.Faster FPS

Dont get me wrong D800 is a fantastic camera but it really is more of a pure portrait/studio camera.
I own the D750 and the low light flies it produces is just amazing considering its price
The tilting screen feels very solid to me, its obvious Nikon made it to be used and not break after few uses.

If you are stuck between the D700 and D800 I would go with the D800, D700 was a good camera and still is a fairly good one but technology has moved on and today it definitely shows its age, I would rather go with the D610 over the D700 for wedding but as I said I think the D750 should be the right camera for you.
Your choice of course.......good luck!

Thank you so much goodguy for your input how long have you had the 750 for.

Hear this short review of this wedding shooter of the D750

He too is not crazy on the screen but he still loves the camera

Owning and using both a D700 and D800, I would recommend the D700 as the better choice overall for wedding work. IMO, the focus of both is fairly similar, as is their high-ISO performance (Good at 3200, acceptable at 6400). The D700 is a much faster shooter for those moments when you want to 'run and gun'. Additionally, the buffer takes MUCH longer to fill up (The D800 buffer fills up very quickly and can take as much as a minute to process). Last, but not least, you can buy two D700s for the cost of a D800, and two is the minimum number of bodies I would want to have with me for a wedding shoot.

Tirediron that is trust but they say you always get what you pay for lol this choice is hard because now its between 700/800/750 lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back