Switching Over To Full Frame D700 vs D800.

Get the best body you can afford. I still have the d700 and I'm looking at getting the d750. Yea the d700 is getting old and if you are viewing the files at 100% you can see a diff between the files. Normal viewing ? Nope not really. And I only know this because I have tried it. Lenses and lighting make a huge difference and with a good flash and lens, you'd be more than ok with the d700. I haven't been let down yet. Nailing exposure is going to be more important.

You need high res, get the d800/810. If not the d750 next. D700 is good but as VIP mentioned, you will notice a difference quickly once you start cropping. If you don't crop a lot or print large- I don't think you'd see a big difference.

That said, I'm looking at getting the d750 solely for the flexibility in cropping or printing larger. Aside from that, I have no use for it.

If you get one of the higher res cameras- make sure your computer can handle it. Upload a couple hundred large files and your computer will feel it lol.

But just so I am clear- you WILL see more detail in the 24MP or 36MP files. But you won't see much difference in normal use like 8x10 and under prints.

Last edited:
i have a imac 27" i5 2.7 but ill max out the ram at 32gb before i start upload the d800 file images lol.

I use LIghtroom and Import onto an External 3TB USB drive (then another for backup). They're quite cheap nowadays and will keep your computer from getting swamped from files.

I went from a D700 to a D800. Smooth transition for me. Yes, the file sizes are large, but even my old PC can handle it.
I shoot RAW, but once I’ve processed everything and I’m happy, I concert to JPG’s and delete the RAW files to help me with my storage.
And when I shoot non-important stuff, I shoot smaller JPG files.

I went from a D700 to a D800. Smooth transition for me. Yes, the file sizes are large, but even my old PC can handle it.
I shoot RAW, but once I’ve processed everything and I’m happy, I concert to JPG’s and delete the RAW files to help me with my storage.
And when I shoot non-important stuff, I shoot smaller JPG files.

Most reactions

Back