Switzerland trip

EtienneP16

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I do not know anything about photography objectives and even cameras... I really need your help ! I'll be in Switzerland this summer, and as you might guess, I'll be taking photos. I need recommandations for a camera and objectives specialized in landscapes. My budget is aroung 700$ US, but less would be amazing.

Thank you.

Are you going specifically for photography, or are you going on a trip that you'd like to take some travel shots with? Are you planning on taking a tripod? Do you see yourself using a tripod?

If you don't know anything about photography, can you get by with a smartphone camera? Do you currently own a camera?

Other than a smartphone camera, I'd suggest getting a point and shoot or something as close to it as possible.

Will you be shooting in automatic mode?

As you can see, I have many questions.

I need recommendations for a camera and objectives specialized in landscapes.
I see a quandary of sorts. Some people believe that you must use a wide angle lens, while others prefer a longer lens. Your budget leads me to recommend a top-level compact camera that is optimized for size, weight, battery life, quality of image, and other features.

Carry a very good small camera with an optical zoom lens in your pocket, and you will be quite happy with your souvenir photographs.

Look for "best travel cameras".

Last edited:
Are you going specifically for photography, or are you going on a trip that you'd like to take some travel shots with? Are you planning on taking a tripod? Do you see yourself using a tripod?

If you don't know anything about photography, can you get by with a smartphone camera? Do you currently own a camera?

Other than a smartphone camera, I'd suggest getting a point and shoot or something as close to it as possible.

Will you be shooting in automatic mode?

As you can see, I have many questions.

The easier it is, the more I like it. It means I'll probably shoot in auto lol ! I don't own any recent smartphones... What do you mean by a point and shoot ?

Thanks !

I see a quandary of sorts. Some people believe that you must use a wide angle lens, while others prefer a longer lens. Your budget leads me to recommend a top-level compact camera that is optimized for size, weight, battery life, quality of image, and other features.

Carry a very good small camera with an optical zoom lens in your pocket, and you will be quite happy with your souvenir photographs.

Thank you for your reply ! What would be your prefered compact camera ?

Thank you for your reply ! What would be your prefered compact camera ?
Have a look at these. The first 7 are what are commonly called compact cameras.

The best travel compact cameras in 2018 | TechRadar

This has a 1" sensor and falls within your budget. Also provides enough extra for a spare battery and sd card.

Panasonic Lumix ZS100 / TZ100

Power Zoom: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100/TZ100 Review

From what you describe, I think this is the best choice for you. It is also the #1 choice in the best travel compact camera article sited above. I almost bought one but didn't want to get away from my Nikon systems. If you buy one from B&H or Adorama, make sure you check for a free stuff button. You can usually pick up a case, SD card and extra battery for nothing (free).

What is your exact requirement? Please do specify.

If you don't know anything about photography and you would just like to have good landscape photos for the purpose of this trip, then I suggest you use a GoPro camera or a smartphone with high HD. I take travel photos with my OPPO F1S camera and there is an option with panorama there too.

Most reactions

Back