Sync issues with flash unit

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by sincere, Jan 11, 2009.

1. sincere

sincere TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I got me two of these 150W flash units (http://www.fotoimpex.de/shop/images/artikel/detail/ADOLIGHT_150_Kit.jpg they where in a kit with two umbrellas, black and white one for like 250$) and when shooting analog, they both work in sync but when i use my 400D, they dont.

Its either one of the flashes fires when i am focusing with the release button or they dont fire at all together. The dude at the store gave me a synch cable, wich unfortunately doesnt fit so i only had a chance to try this without the cable. will have to go back for that tomorrow.

If i still dont get it to work, i will bring the kit back and look for a different solution so feel free and school me on whatever you may think is right..

2. jlykins

jlykins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you don't have a sync connection, you can get a hotshoe to pc adapter.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If the cable doesn't fit...how are you firing them at all?

I'm guessing these have built-in optical slaves triggers...meaning that they go off when then sense another flash. However, you can't use your camera's built-in flash to fire them because the built-in flash uses a pre-flash for metering. The pre-flash will trigger the lights and then the actual flash will fire very soon thereafter...and the lights won't have had a chance to recycle.

Since your camera doesn't have the right connection to attach the cable, you can get an adapter that sits in your camera's hotshoe.
    Smith-Victor | Hot Shoe to PC Adapter | 690041 | B&H Photo Video

4. zapman29

zapman29 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah I have something similar... you will need a hot shoe adapter for the 400... My 40d allows the sync cable and works great... the 350 and 400 dont work with out adapters...

5. Lostbox

Lostbox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    before you use a hot shoe sync check out the power that it puts through the camera and that your camera can take this,

A student when I was studying forgot to do this and it fried the inside of his camera.

also how are you syncing them at the moment if your not using a lead?

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Or you can just buy the Wein hot shoe safe sync adapter. It too has a PC sync port built right into it as well as protect your camera from any damaging high trigger voltages.

7. Lostbox

Lostbox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yep, that sounds like the better easier option :D

8. sincere

sincere TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok, this is a liiiittle too much for me right now,hehe..

Mike: yes they go off as soon as some flash goes off but as i said earlier, that isnt working well because when i tip on the release button to focus, the flash tends to go off like almost every time..

Lostbox: how do i determine how much power it puts thru the camera? The flash units are 150watts each.

usayit: thanks for the advice, i will look into this if i fiugre out that the cheap one for like 10$ will fry my camera..