T-Max 100, IlFord FP4 125, Ilford PanF 50, or Ilford Delta 100: Which should I use?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by Treymac, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Treymac

Treymac TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys. My last question on film selection, probably :D. So for black and white, I have four options and I can't choose:

T-Max 100
    IlFord FP4 125
    Ilford PanF 50
    Ilford Delta 100

So I guess most of you guys know already, I'm using these down in Utah/Arizona where it's going to be really sunny. Please tell me which type I should use, I can't decide :confused:. Any help at all would be really welcome.
    Thanks.

2. compur

compur No longer a newbie, moving up!

Use them all and then you will know and you can tell us.

3. Treymac

Treymac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK, I'll take that advice. I was about to do something hasty and buy film off eBay. But now I finally decided to look at B&H, and film is so much cheaper to buy from there. And I can specify the amount of film I want of each kind. I guess that's a lesson, eBay is not a place to go to for film. It's a little too late for me now though, I've got loads of Ektachrome coming.

So, here is how I'm probably going to break it down:
    3x Delta Pro 100
    2x Pan F
    4x FP4
    4x T-Max (photos of Utah taken with TMax on Flickr look amazing)
    1x an extra roll to make it one roll a day

I revise my question to: which film do you think I will have the most satisfactory results with, shooting things like Monument valley, and Zion, and Moab?

Now I just need to learn how to meter manually :meh: My plan is to take a test roll, meter with my XTi, use those metering settings on my ETRSi, then get them developed and see how far off it is.

Thanks.

4. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would say out of those four, FP4 is probably the most tolerant towards exposure errors. Then, it is down to personnal taste. I personally like the look of older emulsions (such as PanF and FP4) better than more modern ones (such as Delta 100 and T-max). I also find properly exposed PanF and FP4 easier to print in the darkroom (but I have limited skills when it comes to printing).

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    My preference would be Pan F if you need fine-grain and can get away with 50 ASA, otherwise FP 4. The Delta I'm not familiar with and, well, T-Max? :thumbdown:

6. Easy_Target

Easy_Target TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've used tmax and the delta. I personally don't like the way the delta comes out. I shot both tmax 100 and delta 100 on the same day about 15 minutes apart between rolls. The delta was an incredible pain to print, even though I was taking the same subjects as the tmax. If I can find the negatives for them and I can get my hands on a scanner, I'll show you what i mean.

7. flipsidestudio

flipsidestudio TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the look of FP4 and it's pretty tolerant of errors. PanF would be great if you can get away with 50 asa. I'm not a fan of Delta at all but TMax isn't terrible.

8. Treymac

Treymac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok guys, I just put my order through and here is the black and white film I got:

1 roll - Agfa Scala-200 (also bought mailer (only 1 developer in north America! but pictures look amazing on flickr, can't wait to try it))
    1 roll - Ilford Delta
    1 roll - Ilford PanF plus
    5 rolls - Ilford FP4 plus
    5 rolls - Kodak TMax 100
    3 rolls - Kodak Tri-X (expired in 2000)

Which averages out to a little over a roll a day. What do you think, good mix? :thumbup: :thumbdown:

(side note: just picked up a roll of Fuji Acros 100 for my AE-1 Program to play around with before I go. Anybody have any thoughts on this film?)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  9. elemental

elemental TPF Noob!

That looks like a great mix, though don't expect that Tri-X to be a representative sample. I am doing the same thing with Tri-X and T-Max (400) and trying out some Agfa I got on clearance. It's fun to mix and match.

10. ZachGibson

ZachGibson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Panf is the bomb if you're in conditions that you can use 50. Delta's great too. I'm not a big fan of Tmax though, I'd go with Tri-X if you have a choice.

11. r.reeder

r.reeder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Glad to read all the opinions. I'm trying out FP4+, Delta 100, & Pan F. I developed the FP4+ & Delta 100 in HC-110, 1:31 (B), & found that both films were quite grainy. I then tried them with HC-110, 1:39 (D), & the grain was hardly there. I have not had trouble getting images out of either FP4+ or Delta 100. I have yet to try the Pan F, but I think I should develop it in HC-110, 1:63 (H). We'll see what happens.

12. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Pan F will give you the finest quality but I like grain, do B+H sell Agfa apx100 ? I love this film but my film of choice is Ilford HP5, I have a hard time choosing what film to use i have so much in the fridge I've got 300 feet of Double X to get through

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016