T-Max film vs Tri-X films

photoman said:
I've tried the prewetting of the film before developing and noticed a vast improvement in the purple/red stain on the tri-x and the t-max.

Always prewet, it helps avoid air bells and helps keep development even.

ksmattfish said:
And by the way, Ilford FP4 rocks!

I agree, the tones are brilliant. I've just tried my second role of it and I'll be buying some more soon.

I'll tell you the major difference, and here it is:
Tri-X is REALLY rated at 320, while T-Max is rated at 400. Tri-X's development times are adjusted (like if you were pushing it) in the listings (in the packaging) for it to be used as a 400 ASA film.

windycitylover said:
Tri-X is REALLY rated at 320, while T-Max is rated at 400. Tri-X's development times are adjusted (like if you were pushing it) in the listings (in the packaging) for it to be used as a 400 ASA film.

T-max comes in ISO 100, 400, and 3200p (which is probably closer to 800 or 1000). The major difference really is that T-max films use a tabular grain structure, and Tri-X uses a more traditional, round grain structure. The tabular grain visually appears smaller, although this can look soft in the highlights sometimes.

Kodak sells Tri-X professional rated at 320, and Tri-X consumer rated at 400. Is there any difference? I don't use either enough to spot the diff.

I think that if most folks took the time to actually do their own film tests they'd find that they should be shooting both Tri-X and T-max 400 at a slower speed than 400. 320 is a 1/3 stop increase in exposure compared to 400.

ksmattfish said:
windycitylover said:

T-max comes in ISO 100, 400, and 3200p (which is probably closer to 800 or 1000).
Yeah, I know that they have the others.

Kodak sells Tri-X professional rated at 320, and Tri-X consumer rated at 400. Is there any difference? I don't use either enough to spot the diff.
Well, all of the film now says "professional" on it, now, as far as I'm aware. It still says "400" on it, and it will be processed as such. T-Max really is around 400. If you use Tri-X it will be slightly grainy compared to T-Max which WILL have a bit to do with the fact that it was pushed to 400.

Here's Kodak's description of Tri-X from their website:

"KODAK PROFESSIONAL TRI-X 320 and 400 Films are high-speed panchromatic films that are a good choice for photographing dimly lighted subjects or fast action, for photographing subjects that require good depth of field and fast shutter speeds, and for extending the distance range for flash pictures. TRI-X 400 Film (400TX) is available in120 and 135 sizes and 35 and 70 mm long rolls. You can retouch the 120-size film on the emulsion side. TRI-X 400 Film is recommended for push-processing applications.

TRI-X 320 Films (320TXP) feature excellent tone gradation and brilliant highlights. They are especially well suited to low-flare interior lighting or flash illumination. They are also useful for portraiture with low-contrast backlighting outdoors.

One TRI-X 320 Film (320TXP) is available in 120 and 220 sizes on a 3.9-mil acetate base, the other is available in sheets on a 7-mil ESTAR Thick Base. You can retouch these films on the emulsion or base side."

Trust me... It's really 320. Almost every photography book I've ever read has said such, as well as Kodak's latest "guide to films and filters," which basically it a crappy little guide that tells you what filters & films to use in what conditions. It says "Tri-X," and it says (320 ASA) next to it.

Also, the box from my Tri-X film says "Professional" on it, yet it says "400," but it certainly acts like it's a 320.

Anyway, they don't even market black and white film (other than the C-41 process stuff) to consumers anymore. You'd have to click on "pro/lab" on their website just to find Tri-X film.

Tri-X320.jpg

Even though it has "professional" on it, the 400 is only labeled as TX, while the 320 is labeled TXP. Not saying that it means anything. Just pointing that out.

windycitylover said:
Trust me... It's really 320.

Actually, I don't trust you or Kodak :wink: I'd have to do my own personal film speed test.

I have a weird relationship with Tri-X. Everytime I've used it I've had problems or made dumb mistakes. I don't blame the film at all; I take full resposibility for my own mess ups. But somehow it's like I've got bad mojo with Tri-X, so I guess I sort of avoid it. HP5+ and me get along just fine though, so it's not like I miss Tri-X.

Although I have recently had my interest in Tri-X rekindled. I've been reading that it rates ISO 1000 in Diafine 2 bath developer.

markc said:
Tri-X320.jpg

Even though it has "professional" on it, the 400 is only labeled as TX, while the 320 is labeled TXP. Not saying that it means anything. Just pointing that out.
And the 400 TX is still around 300-320.

windycitylover said:
And the 400 TX is still around 300-320.

For who?
With what developer?
With what temperature?
With what development method?
With what development time?

All of these things are variables that affect the true film speed. Kodak's recomendation of 320 or 400 are just approximations. If we are going to nit-pick about a film's true ISO, then individual film tests must be done, and I guarantee that different photographers using different techniques, equipment, chems, etc... will come up with different ISO. Most will probably be in the ISO 200 to 800 range.

For instance, if you use Diafine 2 bath developer, the recommended approximate ISO for Tri-X is 1000.

Film speed is relative.

Check out the characteristic curves of TX400 and TXP320 on this page

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/prof...4017.jhtml?id=0.1.18.14.21.16.14&lc=en#curves

I looked at :
KODAK PROFESSIONAL TRI-X 400 Film / 400TX, 120-size; Large Tank, KODAK PROFESSIONAL D-76 Developer

and

KODAK PROFESSIONAL TRI-X 320 Film / 320TXP, 120/220; Large Tank, KODAK PROFESSIONAL D-76 Developer

The characteristic curves listed by Kodak are different, so what ever they say elsewhere, here in the Tri-X tech pub they are saying they are different films.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back