T1i?

If you're that worried about the money, just get an XTi. The only thing that the T1i does better is movies and it has a few extra pixels. If you want to learn photography, get a less expensive camera and learn on it. Then save up and get the latest technology. No sense in spending on your money on yesterday's stuff.

My advice: get an XTi and a 50mm f/1.4

You'll have a lens that gives you another stop of light with no increase in noise whatsoever.

Ehh, hmm.
I just got a good paying job and I think I'll get the T1i because I need those extra pixels for enlarging. :)

a couple of reasons:
1. f/1.4 vs f/1.8
2. at f/1.8, the 1.4 lens is much sharper than the 1.8 lens
3. faster, more accurate autofocus
4. 8 blade aperture vs 5 blade aperture

I would use the lens exclusively for low light stuff. I have a 17-50mm f/2.8, and I haven't put the 50mm back on, as it doesn't really deliver acceptable results (to me, but I am picky) until stopped down to f/2.8 anyway.

Click this link and you can mess with the aperture and see what it does for the sharpness of each lens.

I own an XSI. I have shot with it for just over 2 years in varying light conditions. It was acceptable in low light, but really, ISO 800 was my max as ISO 1600 was not very usable. I tried to keep it under ISO 400.

I was in Australia a few months ago with some friends and one had bought a Canon T1i (mainly Canon so he can use my lenses) but didn't know much about how to use it. So while showing him some things, I got to test out the T1i in lower light conditions, shooting at ISO 1600 and ISO 3200. I was pleased with the images. I could compare the ISO 1600 almost to my ISO 400... so you are getting a 2 stop increase in usable low light.

So if you are shooting low light and are getting a shutter of 1/30 with an XSI at ISO 400ish, you should get something similar quality with the T1i shooting at ISO 1600 but get a shutter of 1/120, which is a very nice difference.

Basically, the T1i does perform better than the XSI at high ISO in my limited testing. If i had to chose between the two today, I'd go with the T1i.

I hope that makes sense, my brain is only working on one coffee today.

Can I ask why you "desperately" wish you had gotten the 1.4? Everyone raves about the f/1.8, so I'd be curious to hear the other side of it. :mrgreen:

People rave about the lens because of the price vs quality. For $100, getting a lens that can give such good results is really amazing. Low budget, so there is no reason not to have one.

But moving to the 1.4 is better. Slightly wider aperture and a better build. But its more expensive.

I've had the 1.8 for a little over a year, like the lens, but working on getting the 1.4 in the next few months

I have posted this image before, but it is a testament to how properly exposing a photo can make high ISO shots totally acceptable.

Camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 250 mm
ISO Speed: 1600

So don't let anyone tell you that high ISO shots are "not usable" on whatever camera. Learning how to "expose to the right" will give you at least an extra stop of ISO performance.

Sorry I'm seeing all these replies late, I'm working full-time now.
Thanks for all the replies, depending on my first paycheck I wanna see how much I can make a week, because I get paid every Friday. Then calculate how long it'll take me to save the right amount.

I have the T1i, which I love and bought about 6 months ago. . .Of course the T2i is out now and is the same price as I paid for the T1i...You can spend all of your time researching, looking at pics, reading reviews etc, but its really about what you like to do and how you take the actual photos. . .I hear you about the tuition, I start paying my loans in July and not looking forward to it.

I love the T1i, but its my first DSLR and really my only experience, so I can't really say a whole lot, but I li

If you are going to be using strobes, then ISO performace becomes less of an issue altogether...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back