• T4i

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 7D

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Wait for Canon to release new camera.

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a t3i and researched and asked so much about upgrading the camera and considered everything out there. I have the 50mm lens and with much advice went and spent my money on a flash and two very nice and expensive lenses. My picture quality is much better and the external flash has helped a lot for indoor and some outdoor pictures. My opinion would also be to look at a lens first and one that will also work with a full frame when you decide to upgrade. But end of the day it is whatever you are comfortable with and if it is to upgrade then do it. Also see if you can rent a slr for a few days to see if you notice a difference. Good luck

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I have a SLR...I like it very much :)

I think you have me mistaken kind sir. I enjoy my T3 very much and think it is a quality camera for the price I paid and I don't like to use my flash unless I am front lighting. I rather have a noisy picture than overexposed or causing harsh shadows. When I do upgrade I want it to be an upgrade that is going to last for a while so I can buy quality supporting pieces (lens, flash, etc). Thanks for the advice though.
No I don't. You're right, the T3 is a quality camera for your stated purposes. It has a maximum iso of 6400. To get any appreciable low light improvement you would need to upgrade to a high end, full frame model way beyond your budget. The 7D or T4i will buy you some, but not a significant enough difference in this area to justify the price. For me, a recent upgrade from my old Xsi to a T4i (for $599.00) was significant, for the Xsi only had a maximum iso of 1600 and no video capability, so $600 for these 2 major upgrades and several other minor ones made sense in this case.

If you learn how to master light, be it natual or artificial, you will have no issues with overexposure and harsh shadows.

When I do upgrade I am sure I will post to flaunt my new stuff
It seems from this statement you are more interested in flaunting new stuff than learning how to make pictures. Once again IMHO, your camera is not the problem.

The reason i asked is because my recommendation falls in line with everyone else. Buy a better lens or two.

I think you have me mistaken kind sir. I enjoy my T3 very much and think it is a quality camera for the price I paid and I don't like to use my flash unless I am front lighting. I rather have a noisy picture than overexposed or causing harsh shadows. When I do upgrade I want it to be an upgrade that is going to last for a while so I can buy quality supporting pieces (lens, flash, etc). Thanks for the advice though.
No I don't. You're right, the T3 is a quality camera for your stated purposes. It has a maximum iso of 6400. To get any appreciable low light improvement you would need to upgrade to a high end, full frame model way beyond your budget. The 7D or T4i will buy you some, but not a significant enough difference in this area to justify the price. For me, a recent upgrade from my old Xsi to a T4i (for $599.00) was significant, for the Xsi only had a maximum iso of 1600 and no video capability, so $600 for these 2 major upgrades and several other minor ones made sense in this case.

If you learn how to master light, be it natual or artificial, you will have no issues with overexposure and harsh shadows.

When I do upgrade I am sure I will post to flaunt my new stuff
It seems from this statement you are more interested in flaunting new stuff than learning how to make pictures. Once again IMHO, your camera is not the problem.

I was kidding but if you want to take it that way then you are entitled to that opinion. Also the 7D is expandable to 12800 ISO which is significant compared to 6400. Also if you read my posts earlier you would have read that I am also considering the 6D which is a significant jump in low light shooting as well.

So the prevailing wisdom here suggests that you upgrade your glass and/or invest in a nice speedlight. Enjoy your new body.

So the prevailing wisdom here suggests that you upgrade your glass and/or invest in a nice speedlight. Enjoy your new body.

Thanks...I will enjoy whatever equipment upgrade I decide to go with. Every but you Texkam offered excellent opinions

Last edited:
I would like to add few more points to consider, the 7D should be upgraded soon so unless you are getting a good deal on it I would wait because I doubt the replacement will be much more expensive.
Remember the sensor on the 7D and T4i is same so I wouldnt expect a HUGE improvement between the 2 cameras and the T4i is so much cheapper I would seriously consider the T4i.
Of course if money is not a problem then by all means the 7D is the better camera.

Another point to concider is you mentioning the 6D which is a fantastic camera, you will need to get lenses that work with a Full Frame camera so thats more expenses to add on the camera, the DX body lenses will work on FF camera but you will loose so much with them that will itl not give you the amazing results this camera is truly capable of giving with the apropriet lenses.

Good luck!

When I do upgrade I want it to be an upgrade that is going to last for a while so I can buy quality supporting pieces (lens, flash, etc). Thanks for the advice though.

Lenses will last quite a while longer than any new body you can buy. Any body you buy will be obsolete in a few years. The lenses will last for decades. The lenses are the 'main expense' - get those out of the way, and THEN upgrade bodies as they come out...

A mediocre lens on a prosumer body is still a mediocre lens.

I'm not going to waste much time explaining it though, because it sounds like you've already made your decision (if not already made your purchase and just want confirmation that you made the right choice) - once you have your mind made up, there's no going back. I know how that is, lol.

Sorry, I meant to say rent a slr that you want to upgrade to and see if you notice a big difference with the lenses you have now

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I shoot with the 7D and highly recommend it BUT would tell you to invest in a good piece of glass.

The Canon 28-135 (standard kit glass for the 7D) or 24-105 would be ideal for you. You are going to drop ~$500 for the 28-135 or ~$1250 for the 24-105. The good news is lenses are a mainstay, cameras upgrade all the time.

...I am actually getting rid of my 28-135 if you are interested. It has ~1500 pics on it and is in pristine condition. I shoot food and want to upgrade my nifty fifty. I'd let it go for a reasonable $

When I do upgrade I want it to be an upgrade that is going to last for a while so I can buy quality supporting pieces (lens, flash, etc). Thanks for the advice though.

Lenses will last quite a while longer than any new body you can buy. Any body you buy will be obsolete in a few years. The lenses will last for decades. The lenses are the 'main expense' - get those out of the way, and THEN upgrade bodies as they come out...

A mediocre lens on a prosumer body is still a mediocre lens.

I'm not going to waste much time explaining it though, because it sounds like you've already made your decision (if not already made your purchase and just want confirmation that you made the right choice) - once you have your mind made up, there's no going back. I know how that is, lol.

I think this is what Texkam was trying to say in a more rude way. I haven't made a purchase and I haven't made my mind. If I upgrade body it won't be for at least a year. What am I to do with all that time in between? Haha. I want to drop some dime on a lens I just don't know the direction I want to go yet. I am still very new to photography which is why I am asking around and doing some research before I make rash decisions.

Like others have said, if you're looking for better "looking" pictures, the 7D, t3i, t4i will all give you similar results. I have a t3i and purchased the 7d as my "upgrade" camera, but then quickly realized I really wasn't getting that much of a technical upgrade so I took it back and purchased a 5DM3. I love the t3i and get great results with it. Like others have said, keep the t3i and invest in better glass. But if you really want to upgrade the body...the 5dm3 is nice. ;)

Like others have said, if you're looking for better "looking" pictures, the 7D, t3i, t4i will all give you similar results. I have a t3i and purchased the 7d as my "upgrade" camera, but then quickly realized I really wasn't getting that much of a technical upgrade so I took it back and purchased a 5DM3. I love the t3i and get great results with it. Like others have said, keep the t3i and invest in better glass. But if you really want to upgrade the body...the 5dm3 is nice. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I have a t3 not a t3i

Also the 7D is expandable to 12800 ISO which is significant compared to 6400. Also if you read my posts earlier you would have read that I am also considering the 6D which is a significant jump in low light shooting as well.

"expandable" does not mean it provides real 12800 ISO (so, more noise).
If you look on DXOmark, T4i sensor is actually slightly worst than T3 in terms of noise (and different from 7D, which is slightly better and the same as T3i, T2i, 60D). So, not much gain in terms of low light -gain you could have with a lens with larger aperture. From this my suggestion for a Tamron 17-50/2.8, good value for money, and two stops of gain at tele end. Or go cheap, buy a Yongnuo flash + wireless trigger and become a strobist :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back