Tack Sharp Help With AF VR-Nikkor 80-400mm 4.5-5.6D

^^^ Oh yes, of course. And if anyone still wants to make an argument for not shooting in raw format they need to read the tutorial on http://www.ophrysphotography.co.uk/pages/highiso.htm. You know, it's good to set out each day to learn something...anything...just learn something. The 2 tutorials that I read on that site could give me many days off if I chose to sleep through them! :D

Nah! This is what I was talking about. Tack sharp. I won't pretend that I have perfected my technique, no, but I certainly have improved it. I took everyone's advice on this and other forums as well as this guy: http://www.ophrysphotography.co.uk/pages/highiso.htm and worked with EVs to allow me to shoot at ISO 800 (!) instead of 1600+. Shoot to the right. This is the best advice I received. I still don't like the images past ISO 800...yet, but I have a lot of learning to do. Take a look at today's images if you will and let me know what you think. They both are 100% cropped and USM'd slightly.

By jove I think I'm ready to take this lens out of the yard!

#11 - Do you think she's full of eggs - 1/750, 6.3, 1.3EV, ISO 800, 400mm
cardinal1.jpg

#12 - She was quite modest and turned her back while bathing - 1/1000, 6.3, 1EV, ISO 800, 400mm
cardinal2.jpg

Now I am not appointing myself Wildlife Photographer of the year or anything, I'm just saying it's not the lens...it's not the camera...it's the technique! Thanks to all who assisted.

Great shots -- glad that you have managed to get what you are after -- now off out of the yard (that is abig yard you have ;)) and off into the wider world :)

...about the horrible noise at high ISOs. I've seen some phenomenal photos taken by other photographers using high ISOs and I do not see the noise that I'm experiencing.

As already touched on, the two things to do to address noise is:
- proper exposure, matter of fact, sometimes even over exposing by 1/3rd can help in some cases.

- noise reduction software. Noise Ninja is excellent, Neat Image is just a little lower on the scale for me, but my fave is Imagenomic's Noiseware Professional. Does an awesome job for me every time.

I think your last 2 shots are amazing. Nice improvement!

^^^ Yep, absolutely right on all counts, Jerry. BTW, there was no noise on #11 & #12. I didn't remove it...there wasn't any. At ISO 800 with increased EV I didn't need to deal with the dang noise. Thanks for taking the time to assist me, I appreciate it.

Veeeeery interesting tutorial and nice results.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back